Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women, but it can also be preventable and controllable. With today's hustle and bustle, it oftentimes seems too difficult to start (and maintain) lifestyle choices like exercise or diet changes to achieve better heart health. However, using small, discreet technology in conjunction with your smartphone and/or tablet can help you in your pursuit to stay healthy.
We are helping people take the first step to achieve better health with an assortment of fitness accessories that provide a device or app-based solution for your health goals, including:
- Fitbit Zip: Tracks steps, distance and calories burned. This high-tech pedometer also lets users set goals and track progress towards milestones to compete with friends throughout the day. Small and discreet, the clip-on device is sweat, rain and splash proof.
- Scosche Rhythm: An armband pulse monitor that allows you to workout wirelessly. The Scosche Rhythm Fitness App works exclusively with the armband pulse monitor and other accessories to track pulse rate, calories burned, distance, speed, pace, music and more.
- Scosche Fitness Bundle: This grouping includes an armband sport case, with a convenient key slot to securely hold a house key, sweat-proof sport earclips and an integrated microphone for hands-free conversations. As a bonus from Verizon, enjoy three months of free Gold Membership at MapMyRUN.com to map routes, track time and get real-time audio feedback.
Other smartphone and tablet apps that can help you establish heart-healthy habits include:
- Cardiio: Created by MIT scientists, the app uses a phone’s camera to measure how fast your heart is beating using facial indicators.
- Healthy Heart 2: Tracks blood pressure, pulse, cholesterol, glucose, potassium and medications. Also available in the BlackBerry AppWorld.
- Heart Pal: Allows you to log, chart and analyze blood pressure data to store and share with your doctor.
- MyFitnessPal: Count calories of more than two million foods to help take, or keep, those extra pounds off while you target overall better health.
- VirtuaGym Fitness Home & Gym: When you create an online profile, you will get access to exercises, workouts and the ability to earn badges to keep you motivated.
Though a complete lifestyle overhaul can be difficult, adopting a few healthy habits can make a big difference in improving your heart's overall health, as well as serve as an example to friends and family.
For more Verizon Wireless news, subscribe via RSS feeds in the right rail.