EVERETT, Wash. - Everett residents are a major step closer to having an innovative, reliable and competitive alternative for their television services, thanks to a unanimous vote Wednesday (July 23) by the City Council authorizing Verizon to offer its fiber-optic-powered FiOS TV.
Everett is the second community in the state to grant a video franchise to Verizon, following a similar vote last week in Lynnwood. The company plans to begin offering FiOS TV here later this summer.
FiOS TV offers consumers a broad range of programming choices and superior picture quality from the only TV service delivered over the nation's most advanced all-fiber network directly connecting to millions of individual homes and businesses.
"Approval of Verizon's video franchise is great news for the residents of our Northwest headquarters city, Everett, who will soon have more choice for their video entertainment," said David S. Valdez, senior vice president for Verizon's Pacific Northwest region. "We commend the mayor, the City Council and staff for their dedication and hard work throughout this process. They recognize and support the technological advantage and competitive benefits, as well as the distinctive edge in economic development and quality of life, that fiber will bring to Everett.
"We look forward to reaching similar agreements with other Washington communities," said Valdez.
The council's decision gives Verizon the authority to offer FiOS TV to the 39,000 households in Everett. Many Verizon customers here are already enjoying FiOS Internet service, which delivers ultra-fast download speeds up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second).*
Verizon already provides FiOS TV in parts of California, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas and Virginia.
FiOS TV Service Highlights
FiOS TV service highlights include:
- More than 400 all-digital channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- A wide array of high-definition channels, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound. The company plans to significantly expand the HD lineup to include all available major HD programming by year-end.
- An industry-leading library of more than 10,000 video-on-demand (VOD) titles each month, 70 percent of which are free. In addition, an increasing number of on-demand titles in high definition, with 1,000 HD VOD titles per month by the end of the year.
- An easy-to-use interactive media guide that integrates HD programming, on-demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- Set-top boxes ranging from a standard-definition box to the Home Media DVR, featuring a multi-room DVR that enables up to three simultaneous viewings of recorded programs without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment. The recorder is bundled with Media Manager, a feature that lets customers easily access photos and music from their personal computer and play them on their entertainment center where they look and sound the best.
- FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market, making FiOS TV an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
Everett consumers can check online at www.verizon.com/fios for more information or to request that Verizon contact them when FiOS TV becomes available. Customers also can call their local Verizon sales office or 888-GET FiOS (888-438-3467).
FiOS TV is delivered over Verizon's all-fiber-optic network, which brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 50 Mbps* (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 20 Mbps, as well as high-quality voice services.
* NOTE: actual (throughput) speeds will vary.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 67 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employed a diverse workforce of approximately 232,000 as of the end of the first quarter 2008 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of $93.5 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.