From the BQE to the LIE, there's no traffic like New York City traffic.
But Verizon customers with combined FiOS TV and Internet in the New York metro area can get ready to dodge tie-ups and bottlenecks in the five boroughs with the push of a button on their FiOS TV remote.
Starting Thursday (Oct. 22), Verizon FiOS TV's new widget, part of the enhanced Verizon's FiOS TV Widget Bazaar applications marketplace, shows live camera views of major road conditions in all five boroughs of New York City. Viewers who have Verizon's advanced fiber-optic TV service can select a borough for viewing and zoom in for a closer look at individual roads. FiOS TV users also can set their "favorites" to quickly view the New York City roads they travel every day. The feature is available to Verizon customers with combined FiOS TV and Internet in New York City, Long Island, the northern suburbs and northern New Jersey.
Verizon worked with the City of New York to make the data and camera views available on FiOS TV. The widget is represented by a "NYC 311" logo in the Widgets Bazaar on FiOS TV. The maps and live cams are offered in addition to the already available FiOS TV widget that describes New York City traffic conditions in text form.
"FiOS TV's Widget Bazaar just got even better for our customers in the New York metro area," said Shawn Strickland, vice president for Verizon Telecom. "With our new widget, viewers don't have to wait for radio and TV news reports to plan their commutes or weekend drives. They can pull up camera views on road conditions any time, for any borough, while watching their favorite TV shows. It's just one of the dozens of features that makes FiOS TV the clear choice over old-fashioned cable service."
Strickland said that Verizon plans to add more helpful New York City information onto the widget in the future. Possible next applications may include:
- Cultural and recreational events
- Yellow taxi lost and found
- Bus or subway updates and schedules
- Alternate side-of-the-street parking and assistance
- Street and bridge information
- School closures
"We want to make sure that what New Yorkers have come to expect from 311 on the phone and on the Internet, they get on their TV sets," Strickland said.
For screen shots of the new FiOS TV widget, visit http://verizon.mediaseed.tv/Story.aspx?story=37094
FiOS TV's Widget Bazaar applications marketplace offers a variety of free interactive widgets that make life easier and television watching more fun. All are enjoyed onscreen, while watching TV, and include:
- Facebook: Users can log into Facebook to update their status, view their photos and check out their friends' photos and status updates.
- Twitter: Users can send and follow Tweets related to the programs they're watching, search for and view your friends' Tweets, select from a list of top topics, search for specific Tweets, and create and save a favorite-topics list.
- ESPN Fantasy Sports: Provides instant on-screen access to personalized ESPN Fantasy Football points and football statistics, including rosters, box scores, scoring leaders and player information for subscribers who are registered ESPN Fantasy Football players.
- Pro Football: Subscribers can access rosters, player details and headline news from around the NFL. NFL RedZone channel subscribers also can set on-screen alerts for whenever a team is moving inside its opponent's 20-yard line.
- KODAK Gallery: Provides registered KODAK Gallery users instant on-screen access to photos and slideshows that they have stored on Kodak's online digital photo service. This includes photos from friends and family that have been linked to the subscriber's KODAK Gallery account.
- WeatherBug: Provides instant access to real-time, personalized weather information and forecasts. Users can customize weather reports by any ZIP code, pull up hourly or seven-day forecasts and view radar weather imagery.
Verizon is the only company in the U.S. to bring 100 percent fiber optics straight to the home, giving customers the ultimate home-upgrade by delivering America's top-rated broadband with download connections speeds of up to 50 megabits per second, more HD, amazing picture-and-sound quality, and interactive capabilities that cable can't match.
FiOS TV offers a broad collection of programming, with more than 500 all-digital channels, including 129 HD channels, and more than 16,000 monthly VOD titles. FiOS provides next-generation interactive services including an advanced interactive media guide; news, entertainment and social TV widgets; remote DVR management; multi-room DVR, and more.