WHEELING, W.Va. - More consumers and businesses in the Wheeling area now have access to Verizon High Speed Internet, allowing them to quickly download movies, share photos or video with friends and family, and create their own Internet content.
Verizon recently completed upgrades to customer phone lines for high-speed Internet service, based on DSL technology, near Garvin's Lane, Old Fairmont Pike (Route 88) and Mt. Olivet. Verizon High Speed Internet provides consumers with connection speeds up to 53 times faster than dial-up.
"More consumers in the area now are able to make the high-speed connections that are important to them," said H. Stan Cavendish, president of Verizon West Virginia. "Verizon is offering them a choice of fast speeds, affordable pricing and a multitude of services, backed by the reliability of the Verizon network."
Qualified Verizon phone customers who sign up online for Verizon High Speed Internet service by Aug. 18 can get a 12-month price of just $14.99 a month for connection speeds up to 768 Kbps (kilobits per second).* Or, new customers can choose a higher-speed service of up to 3 Mbps (megabits per second) for an introductory price of $19.99 a month for the first six months when ordered online with an annual service plan.
Verizon High Speed Internet Gives Families More
In addition to faster photo sharing, Verizon High Speed Internet offers families many advantages over dial-up services, including the ability to be online and use their phone at the same time so they no longer miss important calls while enjoying the Internet. Verizon High Speed Internet offers a dedicated connection between a customer's home and the Verizon central office that serves the customer. The service offers an extensive collection of features and services, and Verizon's network that 100 million people worldwide rely on every day. These features include:
- Online protection with Verizon Internet Security Suite: In one download, this comprehensive online protection suite provides anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall, parental control, pop-up blocker and privacy manager protection that run continuously behind the scene, as long as the computer is on. The suite automatically updates every three hours, for continuous protection against the latest online threats. The cost is just $4.99 a month for use on up to three household computers.
- Online gaming from Verizon. Play hundreds of the most popular PC games for free with Verizon Arcade, or choose from a variety of Verizon Games on Demand packages, including Family Place, a package that features more than 400 family-friendly casual games for just $7.99 a month.
- Entertainment for children of all ages with Disney Connection. From activities, games and classic cartoons to movie previews, music videos and more, Disney Connection provides age-appropriate content for preschoolers, kids, tweens and Disney enthusiasts, including full access to Playhouse Disney Preschools Time Online and Disney Game Kingdom Online.
- News from ABC News Now, a 24-hour news and information channel that delivers live breaking news, headlines every half hour and over 25 original news, lifestyle and entertainment programs such as "Politics Live," "What's the Buzz" and "Money Matters."
- Sports from ESPN360, which delivers hundreds of hours of live games, analysis and exclusive content on-demand with exclusive access to the Internet's best events. In 2006, the service delivered more than 200 live sporting events - including 2006 FIFA World Cup soccer, college football and basketball, IRL racing, collegiate wrestling and baseball, UEFA Champions league soccer, Wrangler National Finals Rodeo and more.
No matter what speed or plan customers choose, Verizon High Speed Internet includes 24 x 7 live customer support, a 30-day money-back guarantee, nine e-mail accounts and 10 MB (megabytes) of personal Web space and unlimited access to premier entertainment on http://surround.verizon.net. For additional information about Verizon high-speed Internet plans, consumers can call 1-800-742-5375, or they can visit www.verizon.net/highspeed to see if the service is available to their homes and to place orders.
* Note: Actual (throughput) speeds will vary.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 62 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon has a diverse workforce of more than 238,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $88 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.