NEWARK, N.J. - More than 1,000 nonprofit groups in New Jersey received more than $2.9 million from the Verizon Foundation in 2008, enabling recipient organizations to improve literacy skills, enhance educational opportunities for children, and help domestic violence survivors rebuild their lives.
In addition, Verizon employees volunteered more than 48,000 hours to nonprofit groups throughout the state in 2008.
"Verizon has a long-standing tradition of working to improve the communities where we operate by supporting organizations that strive to make a difference in the lives of individuals," said Dennis Bone, president of Verizon New Jersey. "Through grants and the generous contributions of time and talent from our employees, we are having a positive impact on our communities."
Among the grants awarded by Verizon in 2008, and the recipients, are:
- National Guard State Family Readiness Council -- to aid the council in its mission of helping the families of deployed National Guard members from New Jersey.
- Prevention Education Inc. - PEI Kids -- to support the organization's education, intervention and training programs related to abuse and personal safety.
- Resource Center for Women and Their Families -- to support the organization's efforts to provide protection, education and resources to empower victims of domestic abuse.
- Jersey Explorer Children's Museum -- to support the organization's enrichment activities for pre-k through 5th graders; history for high school students; and various community-service learning experiences, all presented in a museum environment.
- Womanspace -- to support a Spanish bilingual hotline and counseling and interpreter services for this organization, which serves domestic violence and sexual assault victims in crisis.
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, supports the advancement of literacy and K-12 education through its free educational Web site, Thinkfinity.org, and fosters awareness and prevention of domestic violence. In 2008, the Verizon Foundation awarded more than $68 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. It also matched the charitable donations of Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in an additional $26 million in combined contributions to nonprofits. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered more than 3 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 80 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of nearly 224,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $97 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.