GARDEN CITY, N.Y. - Verizon has reached agreement with six additional apartment complexes on Long Island and one in Queens to bring its revolutionary FiOS services to the complexes' residents.
By installing its all-fiber network directly to the apartments, Verizon can provide residents with new and more valuable choices for their television, Internet and voice-calling needs. No other Long Island or New York City communications company provides TV, entertainment, Internet or voice services over a 100 percent fiber network.
The seven new properties are:
- The County Seat Condominiums in Mineola.
- New Haven Place in Hempstead.
- Parkside Garden Village in Hempstead.
- The Rock River Apartments in Rockville Centre.
- St. Anne's Gardens in Central Islip.
- Bishop McGann Apartments in Central Islip.
- Glen Oaks Village in Glen Oaks, Queens.
The more than 3,500 units in the complexes will have FiOS availability upon completion of the fiber installations.
The all-fiber projects will make FiOS ultra-high-speed broadband services available to all the apartments. Residents of apartment complexes situated in areas where Verizon has obtained video franchises also will be able to subscribe to Verizon's feature-rich, all-digital FiOS TV service as well.
"This is wonderful news for the residents of these seven properties," said Tracey Edwards, Verizon's Garden City-based vice president and general manager for Long Island. "These residents now will have the opportunity to have fiber optics brought directly to their homes, which brings them the fastest Internet service in the area, and, where permitted, a new choice for their television entertainment."
FiOS TV Service Highlights
- More than 500 all-digital channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- More than 100 HD channels in every FiOS TV market, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- An industry-leading library of more than 14,000 video-on-demand (VOD) titles each month, 70 percent of which are free. In addition, the VOD library includes 1,300 HD titles per month.
- An innovative interactive media guide (IMG) that helps customers quickly and easily find and enjoy content from TV listings, VOD catalogs and the digital video recorder (DVR), as well as personal music and photos from a home network. Among the features of the IMG are:
- Multi-Room DVR - Verizon's Home Media DVR allows customers to stream recorded HD and standard-definition (SD) programs to up to six other TV sets throughout the home. This includes the ability to watch three separately recorded shows on three TV sets at the same time, plus pause recorded programming in one room and continue watching in another.
- Widgets - Customers have one-touch, on-demand access to local weather and traffic reports shown on TV screens. Widgets provide local traffic and weather reports, daily local and national news headlines, daily national sports headlines, community news, and daily horoscopes.
- Free casual games - With the remote control and an HD set-top box, customers can access chess, solitaire, sudoku and wordplay.
- What's Hot on FiOS TV" - Features information on the most-popular programs currently being broadcast in the region and the most popular VOD titles.
- Return to paused programming - Allows customers to pause live programming, change channels, and then return to the paused program and pick up where they left off.
- Channel sorting options - Customers can create two separate lists of favorite channels for family members. Customers also can filter channels in the guide by genre, for instances where a customer only may want to see HD content, international channels or kids programming, among others.
- Fantasy Football - FiOS TV customers who are registered users of ESPN Fantasy Football will have instant on-screen access to personalized NFL statistics, including rosters, box scores, scoring leaders and player information.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are also available, making FiOS TV an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
Verizon's FiOS TV service was selected as the top-ranked residential television service provider in the Northeast region by J.D. Power for 2008. FiOS TV is currently available to more than 9.2 million homes in 14 states: California, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
Verizon's fiber network delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. In addition to FiOS TV, Verizon's fiber network also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 20 Mbps, as well as high-quality voice service.*
Property owners and developers interested in bringing Verizon's FiOS services to their property can visit www.verizon.com/communities or call 866-MDU-6066 (866-638-6066) for more information.
* NOTE: actual (throughput) speeds will vary.