Stay In Shape And Stay Safe This Season With Outdoor Exercise Safety Tips From Verizon Wireless
May 10, 2001
With warmer weather and more daylight hours, many people move their exercise routines outdoors. Whether you prefer running, walking, biking or roller blading, a wireless phone can provide enhanced safety and convenience while enjoying outdoor activities. And, if an accident occurs, you'll be able to call for help if you have your wireless phone with you.
To mark Wireless Safety Week (May 21-28), Verizon Wireless offers the following safety tips for exercising and using your wireless phone:
- Always carry a wireless phone outdoors. Whether you're training for a marathon or taking a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood, a wireless phone is your link to help in case of an emergency.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Make sure you can hear extraneous noise.
- Make sure your battery is charged, especially if venturing out on a daylong activity. Consider bringing along an extra battery.
- Depending on the type of activity you're partaking in, consider using a hands-free device. For example, if biking, it will allow you to keep both hands on the handlebars. When you turn your phone on, make sure your hands-free device is on and working.
- As you pack or prepare for your outing, consider where you'll keep your phone -- on a belt holster, in a waist- or backpack, or in a bike pack.
- Pre-program important and frequently dialed numbers, so you can dial them by pressing only a few buttons.
- Use your wireless phone to communicate with your exercise partner(s) if you choose to separate.
- Handle your phone with care. Keep your phone in a secure dry place and away from direct sunlight. Exposure to dampness or the sun could cause damage.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S. with more than 27 million wireless voice and data customers. The coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD), including Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, GTE Wireless and PrimeCo Personal Communications. Verizon Wireless has a footprint covering more than 90 percent of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 96 of the top 100 U.S. markets. The company, headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, is 40,000 employees strong. Reporters and editors can find more information about the company on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.