BUFFALO, N.Y. - Residents and businesses in more areas in Western New York now have the opportunity to join the Verizon FiOS revolution that is sweeping the region.
Verizon recently began offering a bundled package of FiOS TV, FiOS Internet and wired, reliable voice services to consumers and businesses in parts of Blasdell, Kenmore and Lackawanna.
In addition, Verizon is spreading FiOS TV availability to more areas in the previously activated towns and villages of Amherst, Hamburg, Orchard Park, Tonawanda and West Seneca.
As a result of the FiOS expansion to new areas and extending the service deeper into areas where it is currently available, more than 17,000 additional households will now be able to choose Verizon's revolutionary all-fiber-optic services to supercharge the communications and entertainment network into their homes.
Verizon launched FiOS TV service in Western New York on Sept. 15, making the service initially available to some 62,000 homes.
"FiOS TV is a big hit in Western New York," said Chris Creager, Verizon's president for the Northeast region. "When consumers have an opportunity to choose, it's clear they are choosing Verizon's 100 percent fiber-optic technology over old-fashioned cable to bring them better TV, more high-definition channels, cable-busting Internet speeds and rock-solid voice services."
Door-to-door marketing and other sales activities have been taking place in all the communities in preparation for the introduction of FiOS TV. Verizon has staffed sales teams to familiarize residents with the new FiOS services, and is holding local events to sign up customers.
In addition, at all Buffalo Sabres home games at the HSBC Arena, Verizon has a sign-up table located on the Club Level, and Verizon's High Speed Zone kiosk is located in Section 117.
Verizon is the Western New York market leader in high definition (HD). FiOS TV offers more than 500 all-digital channels, including 103 HD channels in the market - almost double the number offered by the local monopoly cable company, Time Warner.
By signing up for FiOS TV between now and Dec. 31, residents and businesses in the latest FiOS-enabled areas, as well as in other Western New York towns and villages that have the service, will enjoy free access for 90 days to three premium entertainment packages plus more than 9,000 free video-on-demand (VOD) titles per month. The packages are: Cinemax, HBO and FiOS TV's Movie Package.
This offer represents free access to 70 premium channels - 40 of which are HD - such as HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, The Movie Channel, Encore, Sundance Channel and IFC, and includes more than 1,800 VOD titles. Customers who take advantage of the offer will enjoy access to 800 Hollywood blockbusters per month, HBO award-winning original series, movie premieres and World Championship Boxing.
FiOS TV service highlights include:
- More than 500 all-digital channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- A total of 103 HD channels in Western New York, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- More than 14,000 VOD titles and growing, 70 per cent of which are free. In addition, the VOD library also includes more than 1,200 HD titles per month.
- 100 per cent digital quality on every channel and less "pixilation" (distortion) than with cable or satellite. Unlike some cable providers, FiOS TV quality is not deteriorated by the recompression of video signals before they are passed on to customers.
- An innovative interactive media guide (IMG) that helps customers quickly and easily find and enjoy content from TV listings, VOD catalogs and the Home Media DVR (digital video recorder), as well as personal music and photos from a home network. Among the features of the IMG are:
- Multi-Room DVR - Verizon's Home Media DVR allows customers to stream recorded HD and standard-definition (SD) programs to up to six other TV sets throughout the home. This includes the ability to watch three separately recorded shows on three TV sets at the same time, plus pause recorded programming in one room and continue watching in another.
- Widgets - Customers have one-touch, on-demand access to local weather and traffic reports shown on TV screens. Widgets provide local traffic and weather reports, daily local and national news headlines, daily national sports headlines, community news, and daily horoscopes.
- Free casual games - With the remote control and an HD set-top box, customers can access chess, solitaire and wordplay.
- "What's Hot on FiOS TV" - Features information on the most-popular programs currently being broadcast in the region and the most popular VOD titles.
- Return to paused programming - Allows customers to pause live programming, change channels, and then return to the paused program and pick up where they left off.
- Channel sorting options - Customers can create two separate lists of favorite channels for family members. Customers also can filter channels in the guide by genre, for instances where a customer only may want to see HD content, international channels or kids programming, among others.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market. Because FiOS TV has so much capacity, it is an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
Information on packages and prices is available at www.verizon.com/fiostv. Residents and businesses also can call 1-888-GET-FIOS (888-438-3467) to see if they qualify to order FiOS TV.
Verizon delivers FiOS TV and Internet services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network straight to customers' homes and businesses, providing stunning picture-and-sound quality, a broad spectrum of content diversity, interactive features and the fastest Internet speeds, creating the ultimate home-entertainment experience.
FiOS Internet delivers download speeds of up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 20 Mbps, as well as high-quality voice services. This year, Verizon's FiOS Internet service was named the top pick in PC Magazine's 2008 readers' survey and also was named a winner in PC World Magazine's The 100 Best Products of 2008. It was the second year in a row that the broadband service made the reader survey and best product lists.
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24 x 7 technical assistance by phone from its Fiber Solutions Centers.