NEWARK, N.J. - Consumers in parts of Newark, Bridgeton and five other New Jersey communities can now get the ultimate entertainment and broadband experience from their TVs and computers as Verizon makes its award-winning FiOS TV and Internet services available to even more areas in the state.
In addition to Newark and Bridgeton, the FiOS services are also being offered to consumers in Atlantic Highlands, Linden, Sayreville, Shrewsbury Township and Woodbridge. With these latest additions, Verizon FiOS is available to consumers in 317 New Jersey cities and towns, with more to come in 2009.
"Since we introduced these great products just two years ago, the response from consumers from Bergen to Salem has been nothing short of astounding," said Tom Maguire, area president of Verizon's mid-Atlantic region. "Verizon's state-of-the-art fiber optic network is significantly improving the television and broadband experience in New Jersey and, as a result, consumers are winning."
Maguire added, "When Verizon's FiOS service is connected to your TV or computer, it's almost like getting an early holiday present."
Since the summer, Verizon has added more than 90 new channels, including 77 more high-definition (HD) channels, to its FiOS TV lineup in New Jersey. As a result, FiOS TV now offers more than 500 total channels in the region - including more than 100 high-definition (HD) channels, more than any local cable TV company, including Cablevision and Comcast.
"FiOS TV gives consumers in New Jersey an outstanding, superior alternative for their video entertainment," said Dennis Bone, president of Verizon New Jersey. "Customers in these communities who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV. We've harnessed the vast capacity of our advanced fiber-optic network to deliver a revolutionary, new entertainment experience."
New Jersey residents who are FiOS TV-eligible now have the option to trim their monthly bills by bundling FiOS TV service, FiOS Internet service and the Verizon Freedom Essentials unlimited calling plan, for as little as $99.99 a month. They also can add a Verizon Wireless calling plan for a Grand Slam of communications and entertainment services.
In addition, consumers who sign up for FiOS TV between now and Dec. 31 are eligible to enjoy free access for 90 days to three premium entertainment packages - Cinemax, HBO and FiOS TV's Movie Package, which features Showtime, Starz, The Movie Channel, Sundance Channel and IFC. This package includes 40 HD premium channels as well as more than 14,000 free video-on-demand (VOD) titles per month.
Consumers can check online at www.verizon.com/fios for more information or to request that Verizon contact them when FiOS services become available. Customers also can call their local Verizon sales office or 888-GET FiOS (888-438-3467).
Small and medium-sized businesses interested in business-grade FiOS services can visit www.verizon.com/bizfiostv to see online rebate offers of up to $409 depending on the services selected, or call 877-FiOS BIZ (877-346-7249) for more information.
FiOS TV service highlights include:
- More than 500 all-digital channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- Cutting-edge passive optical (fiber) network delivering state-of-the-art quality TV and data speeds.
- A total of 102 HD channels for New Jersey customers, with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- An industry-leading library of more than 14,000 VOD titles each month, 8,500 of which are free. In addition, the VOD library includes 1,200 HD titles.
- An innovative interactive media guide (IMG) that helps customers quickly and easily find and enjoy content from TV listings, VOD catalogs and the digital video recorder (DVR), as well as personal music and photos from a home network. Among the features of the IMG are:
- Multi-Room DVR - Verizon's Home Media DVR allows customers to stream recorded HD and standard-definition (SD) programs to up to six other TV sets throughout the home. This includes the ability to watch three separately recorded shows on three TV sets at the same time, plus pause recorded programming in one room and continue watching in another.
- Widgets - Customers have one-touch, on-demand access to local weather and traffic reports shown on TV screens. Widgets also provide daily local and national news headlines, daily national sports headlines, community news and daily horoscopes.
- Free casual games - With the remote control and an HD set-top box, customers can access chess, solitaire, wordplay and Sudoku.
- "What's Hot on FiOS TV" - Features information on the most popular programs currently being broadcast in the region and the most popular VOD titles.
- Return to paused programming - Allows customers to pause live programming, change channels, and then return to the paused program and pick up where they left off.
- Channel sorting options - Customers can create two separate lists of favorite channels for family members. Customers also can filter channels in the guide by genre, for instances where a customer only may want to see HD content, international channels or kids programming, among others.
- Fantasy Football - FiOS TV customers who are registered users of ESPN Fantasy Football have instant on-screen access to personalized NFL statistics, including rosters, box scores, scoring leaders and player information.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market, making FiOS TV an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
FiOS TV is designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and satellite. Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, the largest of its kind in the country, is currently under construction in more than half the states where the company offers landline communications services, including many additional New Jersey communities.
Verizon's FiOS TV service was selected as the top-ranked residential television service provider in the Northeast region by J.D. Power for 2008. FiOS TV is currently available to more than 8.2 million homes in 14 states: California, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
The network brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 50 Mbps* (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 20 Mbps as well as high-quality voice services.
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24 x 7 technical assistance by phone from its Fiber Solutions Centers in Freehold and other cities.
* NOTE: Actual (throughput) speeds will vary.