FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, has awarded $112,018 in workforce development grants to six nonprofit organizations in Indiana.
"Increasingly sophisticated job skills are needed for an individual to succeed in today's economy," said John O. Dudley, Great Lakes Region president for Verizon. "These Verizon grants will help train Indiana workers who lack specific job skills or re-train other workers who need to learn new skills."
Organizations receiving these Verizon Foundation grants are:
- Goodwill Industries of Northeast Indiana, Inc. was awarded $9,500 to purchase laptop computers for the Vocational Exploration, Skills Assessment and Training Program. Computer software will be used to evaluate the skills of young adults who have special needs or who are at-risk, and then to match these clients to potential jobs. Free online computer training also will be available.
- Green Acres, Inc. received a $20,318 grant for the purchase of hardware and software to expand a computer lab, enabling persons with disabilities, out-of-work youths and welfare-to-work recipients to search for employment, research job opportunities, create resumes, apply for jobs online and develop basic computer skills. The lab will also serve individuals transitioning from a sheltered work environment into community employment
- Ivy Tech Foundation (Richmond campus) was awarded $25,000 for a wireless computer lab that will enable the college to provide basic computer courses that are not currently available due to the limited number of computer labs. This award will increase training opportunities for adult students who lack computer skills and financial resources and who are not likely to attend training on a college campus.
- Northeast Indiana Innovation Center received a $25,000 grant to develop a virtual "town square" to provide technology-related career information and access to online learning. The virtual "town square" is the result of collaboration between the Innovation Center, the City of Fort Wayne Economic Development Department and the Northeast Indiana Technology Partnership.
- Portage Adult Education in Portage was awarded a $25,000 to purchase upgraded computer technology for the organization's learning centers. Clients will use the new computers to study for the GED test. Unemployed or underemployed adults will also be able to improve their computer and information technology skills.
- Transition Resources Corporation received $7,200 for computer software used by clients at the Learn More Centers in North Manchester and Wabash. The current curriculum primarily teaches skills for GED testing. The new software will focus on literacy and will be used for interactive multi-sensory computer-based training.
"Having a skilled workforce helps Indiana attract new jobs and businesses," said Dudley. "We are pleased to help these organizations ensure that the communities we serve continue to grow and thrive."
Verizon Foundation is committed to helping people and communities make progress every day. The foundation supports a variety of programs that focus on improving basic and computer literacy, bridging the digital divide, enriching communities through technology and creating a skilled work force. The foundation promotes partnerships in technology with organizations serving the needs of diverse communities, people with disabilities, and the economically and socially disadvantaged. The foundation also supports Verizon Volunteers, an incentive program that encourages Verizon employees to volunteer in their communities and provides matching gifts to nonprofit organizations. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizon.com/foundation.
Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services. Verizon companies are the largest providers of wireline and wireless communications in the United States, with 135.1 million access line equivalents and 30.3 million Verizon Wireless customers. Verizon is also the largest directory publisher in the world. With more than $67 billion in annual revenues and approximately 241,000 employees, Verizon's global presence extends to more than 40 countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Pacific. For more information on Verizon, visit www.verizon.com.