Verizon Invested More Than $732 Million in New Jersey's Wireline Communications, IT Infrastructure in 2011
Verizon continued to bring communications and computing innovation to the state's consumers and businesses in 2011, investing more than $732 million in its wireline communications network and IT infrastructure throughout the state.
"The communications industry is vital to New Jersey's economy, and Verizon is the state's leading private investor in network and IT infrastructure," said Dennis Bone, president of Verizon New Jersey. "Verizon's advanced networks serve as fundamental drivers of economic growth and innovation, providing a solid foundation for businesses to innovate, students to learn and people to stay connected."
"Technology has forever changed the way we communicate, dramatically transforming our business in new and exciting ways," Bone said. "Verizon is facing these challenges and opportunities head on, but our future capital investments in New Jersey will be shaped by how well the state's public policy evolves to create a positive environment for investment and innovation in our industry."
Verizon Furthers Home Monitoring, Multiscreen Entertainment
Verizon's major wireline infrastructure programs last year included:
- Continued deployment of the company's award-winning, 100 percent fiber-optic FiOS TV and FiOS Internet services, making them available to more than 1.8 million New Jersey homes and businesses at year's end.
- Enhancements that further differentiate FiOS services from the competition. Provided over an all-fiber infrastructure that is much more resilient than other wireline networks, the next-generation FiOS TV is built upon a long series of innovations, including a robust Interactive Media Guide that provides an in-depth, interactive TV experience; Flex View and FiOS TV Online, which extend FiOS TV beyond the home to the Internet and a range of mobile devices; free interactive applications including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Yelp, HSN Shop By Remote, TMZ and others; Media Manager, which allows customers to access on their TVs personal photos, music and videos from their computers; and In-Home Agent, which frees customers to use simple online tools to diagnose and resolve a range of service issues. In 2011, Verizon:
- Launched Home Monitoring & Control, which provides customers with remote access, control and monitoring of doors, thermostat controls, appliances and home-energy use.
- Rolled out MY FiOS, an easy-to-use mobile application that gives customers access to a variety of other applications including Home Monitoring & Control, as well as movies, TV shows and personal content; remote DVR access and control; and billing, account management and customer service tools.
- Enabled customers who are Xbox LIVE Gold members and who subscribe to both FiOS TV and Internet service to view select live channels through their Xbox consoles through a collaboration with Microsoft.
- Upgraded its Interactive Media Guide, with applications for advanced/intuitive search, social networking, Internet video, personal media streaming, high-definition music, remote DVR controls, account management and billing functions, multi-screen/mobile viewing and much more.
- Continued implementation of the company's copper infrastructure investment program, which included key upgrades to copper-based facilities across New Jersey to enhance the overall reliability and dependability of the network.
- Accelerated deployment of fiber-optic links to wireless carriers' cell sites throughout New Jersey as these carriers expand their infrastructure to meet ever-growing demand for wireless broadband and advanced 4G services. In 2011, Verizon deployed fiber optics to connect more than 1,100 of these sites in the state.
Verizon Enterprise Solutions Goes to the Cloud and Beyond
Verizon Enterprise Solutions oversees all of Verizon's solutions for business and government customers, including its portfolio of enterprise mobility, cloud and IT, strategic networking and advanced communications offerings; specialized solutions for key industries such as health care, travel and transportation, retail, utilities and financial services; IT consulting services; and the company's full range of global wholesale offerings.
In 2011, the unit launched the Verizon Fraud Management for Healthcare, an advanced-software platform that is tailored to the health care industry and uses predictive modeling technology to examine health care payment requests and route potentially fraudulent claims to case managers for investigation. In addition, Verizon Enterprise Solutions continued to implement its "everything-as-a-service" strategy with the acquisition of Terremark, a leading provider of cloud computing solutions. Security offerings and a host of industry-specific innovations were also launched.
Verizon Foundation Invests in New Jersey's Future
Verizon's investment in New Jersey goes beyond networks, communications and IT equipment. In 2011, the Verizon Foundation awarded more than $3.3 million to New Jersey nonprofit groups that focused on advancing health care, domestic violence prevention, education and sustainability. In addition to the grants, Verizon employees volunteered nearly 64,800 hours to nonprofit groups throughout New Jersey last year. The Verizon Foundation supports employee volunteerism by awarding a $750 grant to a nonprofit organization when a Verizon employee volunteers 50 hours or more to the organization during the year. (For more information, see related news release.)
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with nearly 109 million total connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with $111 billion in 2011 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of nearly 194,000. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.