NEW YORK - Digital subscriber line (DSL) and cable-modem broadband users across America now can take advantage of the latest in voice communications technology from Verizon. Starting today, VoiceWing, Verizon's voice-over-Internet-protocol (VoIP) broadband phone service, is available nationally in the largest initial commercial offering of a residential VoIP service in America.
Because VoiceWing is provided over the Internet, customers can choose a phone number from an extensive list of area codes in 139 markets in 33 states and the District of Columbia. VoiceWing subscribers can make calls over any broadband Internet connection and manage their calls from any computer with Internet access - regardless of where it is located. The service also provides a variety of advanced call-management features such as enhanced call-forwarding and call logs that itemize all calling activity.
"We recognize that along with cost savings, customers want the enhanced features that new technologies bring," said Bob Ingalls, president of Verizon's Retail Markets group. "Our wide range of features makes managing calls simple and convenient."
VoiceWing allows consumers to make unlimited local and long-distance phone calls within the United States and certain territories and to benefit from low per-minute international calling rates.
VoiceWing is priced at $39.95 per month; however, discounts are available. For instance, subscribers to Verizon Online DSL can get VoiceWing for $34.95 a month. Those subscribers can also benefit from an introductory price of $29.95 a month for the first six months if they order VoiceWing by Oct. 31. Users of other broadband services will get an introductory price of $34.95 for the first six months of service if they order VoiceWing by Oct. 31.
Verizon provides VoiceWing subscribers with an adapter that allows them to use their own telephone with their DSL or cable modem connection to make VoiceWing calls. There is a one-time set-up fee of $39.95, and a one-time shipping and handling charge for shipping the adapter.
Verizon offers customers a 30-day money-back guarantee on its VoiceWing service.
VoiceWing is available to customers anywhere in the continental United States and can be purchased at www.verizon.com/voicewing or by calling 1-800-270-5369.
One attractive feature of VoiceWing is that customers can choose their own area code. It doesn't have to be the area code where customers live.
VoiceWing telephone numbers are available today with a variety of area codes from the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and in the District of Columbia.
VoiceWing provides customers not only traditional services such as voice mail, caller ID and call waiting, but also advanced features that give them unprecedented control of their communications by accessing a special Web page called the Personal Account Manager. The features include:
- Call Logs - Itemize all calling activity. Call Logs list the caller name, telephone number (if available), date, time-of-day, location and duration of every incoming and outgoing call made. Users can easily transfer contact information directly into their VoiceWing Personal Address Book.
- Voice Mail - Allows customers to view and play their messages by clicking on the "new voice mail messages" link on the home page. Messages can be stored for up to 14 days.
- Click-to-Dial - Automatically dials any telephone number, including numbers saved in the Call Logs or Address Book. By clicking on a "hyperlink" phone number, VoiceWing will dial the number. When dialing is complete, the customer's VoiceWing phone will ring, indicating the user should pick up the handset.
- Speed Dial 10 - Lets users enter or change speed-dial shortcuts on their VoiceWing phones or on their computers.
- Enhanced Call Forwarding - Directs calls to another telephone number anytime. By saving Call Forwarding settings on a customer's Personal Account Manager, VoiceWing calls can quickly be re-directed to another number.
- Feature Scheduling - Allows users to schedule call forwarding or a call back for a specific date and time of day.
- Personal Address Book - Stores information about a user's most frequent contacts directly on the Personal Account Manager. The Click to Dial feature can then be used with the Address Book.
- Alternate Telephone Number - Customers can make every call they get from out-of-town family and friends a local call by choosing an Alternate Telephone Number in their family and friends' area code. The Alternate Telephone Number is routed directly to the customer's primary VoiceWing number. There is a monthly charge for Alternate Telephone Numbers.
"VoiceWing is a critical part of Verizon's broadband leadership strategy," Ingalls said. "It will bring us new broadband and voice services customers, and it will give our existing customers new ways to get the most from their broadband connections. Our pricing and features meet or beat our competition, and our availability is one of the best in the industry. With VoiceWing, we are embracing the future, and we will continue to introduce a steady stream of new products that puts the power of broadband to work for our customers."
VoiceWing is provided through Verizon Long Distance.
[Note: For more information, view the VoiceWing online press kit at http://newscenter2.verizon.com/kit/voicewing.]
A Dow 30 company, Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services, with approximately $68 billion in annual revenues. Verizon companies are the largest providers of wireline and wireless communications in the United States. Verizon is also the largest directory publisher in the world, as measured by directory titles and circulation. Verizon's international presence includes wireline and wireless communications operations and investments, primarily in the Americas and Europe. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.