WALLINGFORD, CT —
Bell Atlantic Mobile announced today that it has expanded digital wireless phone service in Danbury and Waterbury along the I 84 corridor to the New York State border and has made its service more affordable by lowering per minute rates by up to 20 percent on digital plans.
The service, called DigitalChoicesm, allows customers to make and receive calls, answer pages, receive voice mail and know who is calling -- all while providing increased call reliability, greater voice clarity, enhanced privacy, and extended portable phone battery life. Customers can use their digital phones virtually anywhere in the United States because Bell Atlantic Mobile wireless service works on both analog (traditional cellular) and compatible digital networks.
"We've distinguished ourselves from the competition by building the most expansive, high quality digital network in the Northeast," said Bob Stott, president of the Northeast Region of Bell Atlantic Mobile. "We've also re-aligned our pricing structure to encourage current analog customers to convert to digital and for new customers to choose digital. If consumers were hesitant before, there's no reason to be now. We've made digital more affordable for all consumers."
The new digital service offering includes:
- Five DigitalChoice price plans which range from $19.99 per month with 20 included minutes of home airtime to $149.99 for 1300 included home airtime minutes (over 21 hours). All plans include first incoming local minute free, voice mail, Caller ID, message waiting indicator, call waiting, call forwarding and three-way calling at no additional charge.
- Digital phones may be rented for $5.00 per month under one-year service agreement, in addition to existing purchase options.
- A new Traveler Option for an additional $5.00 per month provides access for a nationwide roaming airtime rate of $0.50 per minute.
- Mobile-to-mobile service, which offers unlimited airtime for customers who communicate frequently with other digital phone users on the Bell Atlantic Mobile network; now an additional $10.00 a month.
- On price plans starting at $49.99 per month, customers will receive an expanded home rate that includes CT, MA, RI, NH, VT, and Upstate NY plus NY Metro.
Bell Atlantic Mobile bases DigitalChoice on Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) technology and is the industry leader in deploying CDMA service. This "next generation" wireless technology greatly reduces static and crosstalk and uses a unique noise suppression technique that improves voice quality. It also allows for greater call capacity on Bell Atlantic Mobile's network. For more information, call 1-800-255-BELL.
Bell Atlantic Mobile is the largest wireless service provider on the East Coast and the second largest in the United States. The company owns and operates the most extensive network in the east, covering 111,000 square miles, and the largest chain of wireless retail outlets offering a full range of wireless personal communications services, including voice, data and paging. Based in Bedminster, NJ, Bell Atlantic Mobile has more than 5 million customers and 7,000 employees in the Northeast, mid-Atlantic, Southeast, and, through a separate subsidiary, in the Southwest. Through its "Wireless at Work..." community relations program, which includes HopeLine voice mail service, Bell Atlantic Mobile uses its wireless technology to help individuals and communities improve security and emergency communications.