IRVINE, CA — Verizon Wireless, a recognized leader for its domestic violence prevention efforts, has donated $2,500 to the Beach Cities Health District (BCHD), a public agency that provides a broad range of health-related programs to residents of Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach.
The donated funds will be used to increase local awareness of domestic violence by enabling the Beach Cities Health District to print and distribute a brochure prepared to help health care professionals identify and refer victims of domestic violence. The funds will also support the creation of a 'Silent Witness' silhouette exhibit that will be specific to the South Bay area.
"Domestic abuse is an epidemic that affects every community, including the South Bay, "said Paula Van Doren, BCHD. "Women experiencing domestic abuse are as likely to seek services such as counseling and support groups. We believe that our awareness campaign is a good way to let these women know that help is available, and we grateful to Verizon Wireless for dedicating resources to the prevention of domestic violence in the South Bay and throughout the U.S."
Verizon Wireless representatives presented the donation last night at "Voices & Vigil," a kick off event for the Health District's annual domestic violence awareness month campaign. The event, sponsored in part by Verizon Wireless, featured a presentation by an adult survivor of domestic violence, as well as comments from representatives of the Redondo Beach Police Department and the District Attorney's Office. Local mayors, city council members, fire and law enforcement officials, school representatives and city employees attended the event.
"Whether it affects a friend, neighbor, or a co-worker, chances are there is someone in your community who suffers from abuse," said Verizon Wireless Regional President Greg Klimek. "We are proud to take a stand with Beach Cities Health District to lead a domestic violence awareness campaign that will let victims know they are not alone in their fight and aid others in helping them."
Facts About Domestic Violence in the United States
Domestic violence is a serious problem in the United States. Studies show that:
- There are approximately 960,000 incidents of domestic violence each year (U.S. Department of Justice)
- 40 percent of teenage girls age 14 to 17 report knowing someone their age who has been hit or beaten by a boyfriend (Kaiser Permanente)
- More than 175,000 workdays are lost each year because of domestic violence (Society for Human Resource Management)
- American companies lose about $5 billion every year in increased medical costs associated with battered employees (National Victim Center)
- 17 to 20 percent of women killed in the workplace are murdered by spouses or boyfriends (U.S. Department of Labor studies)
- 31 percent of American women have been physically or sexually abused by a spouse or boyfriend during their lifetime (Commonwealth Fund)
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S. with more than 28 million wireless voice and data customers. The coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD), including Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, GTE Wireless and PrimeCo Personal Communications. Verizon Wireless has a footprint covering more than 90 percent of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 97 of the top 100 U.S. markets. The company, headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, is 40,000 employees strong. Reporters and editors can find more information about the company on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.