BEDMINSTER, NJ and DULLES, VA — Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless service provider, and America Online, Inc., the world's leading interactive services company, today announced the immediate availability of a suite of popular AOL services and features to Verizon Wireless Mobile Web subscribers. These offerings are an important step in bringing valued mobile Internet services to even more consumers across the U.S.
Verizon Wireless digital customers with Web-enabled phones who subscribe to Mobile Web now have convenient wireless access to AOL Mail and other AOL content including the latest news, financial information, driving directions, and local event and entertainment information via AOL's popular interactive brands, including MapQuest and Moviefone. The two companies plan to extend the breadth of their relationship with the launch later this year of the AOL® Instant Messenger™ service (AIM®), the leading instant messaging service.
John Stratton, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless, said, "As we continue to augment Mobile Web with content our on-the-go customers want, AOL brings great features to our service. This relationship exemplifies and validates the strength of our network and our strategy to lead with data services, and makes Verizon Wireless a natural choice for consumers."
Lex Felker, senior vice president of AOL Anywhere for America Online, said, "AOL features are a central part of the lives of millions of consumers and we're excited to offer Verizon Wireless customers our industry-leading content and messaging services. We've greatly expanded the availability of AOL features on wireless devices, offering consumers a convenient and easy way to stay in touch while on the go. We look forward to working with Verizon Wireless as we continue to bring additional AOL features and services to mobile customers."
Verizon Wireless Mobile Web subscribers can immediately access popular AOL features, services and content, including:
- AOL Mail and Address Book*, including the ability to respond and write e-mail
- Local content including restaurant and event information, traffic and directions from MapQuest
- Movie information, show times and ticket ordering from Moviefone
- The latest weather and news, including headline, business, entertainment and sports news
- Portfolios and stock quotes
- The status of current bids, the ability to search for specific items or browse the variety of listings on the service through eBay. Or, search the Yellow Pages for a store nearby, and use the handy Store Finder to get there
- The ability to book airline, car and hotel reservations, or check flight arrivals and departures
- Access to national White Pages, Yellow Pages, and a useful ATM finder from MapQuest, as well as the ability to search for other online content
- Games, teen-related content and horoscopes
* Must be an AOL member to access AOL Mail and the AOL Address Book.
Verizon Wireless customers with digital Web-enabled handsets can add Mobile Web service for $6.95 per month. Airtime charges apply.
# # #
About America Online, Inc.America Online, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of AOL Time Warner, Inc. (NYSE: AOL). Based in Dulles, Virginia, America Online is the world's leader in interactive services, Web brands, Internet technologies and e-commerce services.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless is the nation's leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 30.3 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.