ORANGEBURG, NY — As boating season kicks into high gear, Verizon Wireless wants to remind boaters that it offers a direct connection to the U. S. Coast Guard by dialing *CG (24) from any Verizon Wireless phone. There is no charge for the service to Verizon Wireless customers in the New York Metro region.
“Our marine coverage gives boaters another means of communications while on the water that increases convenience and enhances safety and security,” said Charles Hand, Verizon Wireless president, New York Metro Region. “While VHF-FM maritime channel 16 should be used as the primary means for reporting an emergency, boaters can use *CG to get help or to pass along information about a navigational hazard that could endanger other boats.”
Verizon Wireless reminds all wireless customers to use their phones responsibly. Just as drivers are encouraged to act reasonably when using their phones onshore, boaters should keep safety in mind when navigating and speaking on the phone. Verizon Wireless offers the following safety tips for boaters:
- Safe boating should be your first priority.
- Make sure your phone is positioned where it is easy to see and reach.
- Use the speed dialing features on your phone to program frequently called numbers.
- Let your wireless network’s voice mail or text messaging pick up your calls when you’re unable to answer the phone. If you’re heading into a navigational hazard, it’s easy to retrieve your messages later.
- Use your wireless phone to notify those on shore of your whereabouts and destination.
In addition to voice calls, boaters can use other wireless communications services, like TXT Messaging, Mobile WebSM and Express NetworkSM to send short messages, access the Internet and send and receive e-mail. For additional information about wireless data services, visit the Verizon Wireless website at www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless is the nation’s leading provider of wireless communications. The company has the largest nationwide wireless voice and data network and 33.3 million customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.####