BEDMINSTER, NJ and HOUSTON — WHO: Verizon Wireless, the nation's leading wireless service provider
WHAT: Stills and B-roll of Hurricane Katrina evacuees from the Verizon Wireless Emergency Communications Centers at the Astrodome and Reliant Arena in Houston, TX. Images and B-roll includes:
- Evacuees making calls to loved ones reconnecting with family either displaced from the hurricane or relatives across the country.
- Evacuees of Hurricane Katrina describe contacting family using wireless phones provided by Verizon Wireless.
- Emergency workers describe the importance of wireless phones in a disaster recovery effort.
- Verizon Wireless employees describe the company's disaster relief efforts, including giving Hurricane Katrina evacuees free calls, use of the wireless phone charging station and text messaging.
- Evacuees using Verizon Wireless phones to call loved ones.
WHERE: B-roll can be found at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia
WHEN: Available now
BACKGROUND: Two Verizon Wireless Emergency Communication Centers (WECCs) have been established in Houston at the Astrodome and at the Reliant Arena to help evacuees place calls, recharge their phones, get technical support and assistance from customer service, free of charge. A primary concern for evacuees is locating family and friends who have been separated.
Verizon Wireless has helped reunite many families that have been separated as they were transported to Houston, as well as help evacuees reach family members that have been displaced. Many evacuees using the phones had not had access to a phone in five days. There have been several reunited moments at the WECCs.
Verizon Wireless employees from other states have volunteered their assistance to the WECCs.
Media Contacts are for Media Inquiries Only:Sheryl Sellaway 678.339.5564 (office) / 404.695.5564 (mobile)Sheryl.Sellaway@VerizonWireless.com
In Gulf Coast: Patrick Kimball 281.686.1937 (mobile) Patrick.Kimball@VerizonWireless.com
National/Public PolicyJeffrey Nelson908.306.4824 (office)Jeffrey.Nelson@VerizonWireless.com
All Other Calls: Tom Pica 908.306.4385 (office)Thomas.Pica@VerizonWireless.com
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 47.4 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####