CHANDLER, AZ — Verizon Wireless announced today it completed a more than $85 million enhancement to Arizona's voice and data wireless network in 2005. The investment includes adding and updating cell sites and installing new technologies to improve call quality, increase coverage areas, and enable a variety of advanced services such as TXT and Picture Messaging, V CAST, BroadbandAccess, and other applications.
The network investment, which totals more than $370 million over the past five years, is also key to maintaining strong coverage.
Since the beginning of 2005, the network investments in Arizona have resulted in:
- Enhancements that expanded the company's call capacity, enabling the network to handle even more simultaneous voice and data calls. Network usage in Arizona increased nearly 40 percent in 2005 over 2004.
- Valley of the Sun network upgrades, which enabled V CAST, the nation's first 3G wireless broadband multimedia service for consumers, and BroadbandAccess, the fastest wide-area wireless Internet access service available in the nation. Both services run on the company's high-speed EV-DO (Evolution Data-Optimized) wireless broadband network, which is available from coast to coast.
- The completion of a network conversion following the acquisition of Valley Telecommunications' wireless assets in southeast Arizona. Verizon Wireless customers in Graham, Greenlee and Cochise Counties now have wireless voice and data service on Verizon Wireless' network. Verizon Wireless also added a new cell site in Tombstone to better serve customers in the historic western town.
- A series of new cell sites throughout the state, including those that improved coverage in the communities of Vistancia and Johnson's Ranch; on the Arizona State University campus and at Tempe Town Lake Marina; at the Peoria Sports Complex; in east Tucson; and along the Arizona and Mexico border in San Luis.
- In June, deployment of a Cell on Wheels mobile cell site to provide additional wireless coverage and capacity in Scottsdale to support firefighters and other emergency crews battling the Cave Creek Complex Fire.
Editor's note: For network cell site images go to www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia
"Providing customers with the nation's most reliable wireless network means making large-scale investments year after year," said Tami Erwin, regional president, Verizon Wireless. "We've proven that these efforts pay off with strong network performance in Arizona based on testing by our real life test men and women."
Verizon Wireless is dedicated to delivering outstanding customer satisfaction by providing a positive wireless experience to its more than 49 million customers. The company has regularly invested more than $4 billion nationally each year since it's inception and more than $5.5 billion last year alone.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 49.3 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
Test Man/Woman Ride-Along Program The specially equipped Verizon Wireless test vehicles simultaneously test seven wireless providers, using a computerized program to generate phonically diverse "conversations" as well as data transmissions. Members of the media who are interested in setting up an interview ride-along with a local member of the Verizon Wireless team of real-life test men and women, are invited to contact Jenny Weaver at 480-763-6321 or e-mail Jenny.Weaver@VerizonWireless.com.####