ROCHESTER, NY — Verizon Wireless, operator of the nation's most reliable wireless network, and the Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, have awarded grants totaling $100,000 to six Rochester-area nonprofit domestic violence organizations in support of Verizon Wireless' HopeLine® Program. The grants will go toward helping the following organizations introduce new programs, expand existing ones or add facilities to better serve clients:
- Alternatives for Battered Women -- $5,450 to redesign their website to add online interactivity for counseling, outreach, fundraising, volunteerism.
- Chances & Changes -- $8,000 to upgrade and expand voice response system for better outreach and privacy safeguards, including caller ID, hotline and conference calling.
- YWCA of Rochester and Monroe County $10,000 to support their domestic violence prevention program for teen parents and pregnant teens.
- Legal Aid Society of Rochester -- $13,800 for counseling and support services for domestic violence victims.
- Salvation Army -- $22,750 to support their domestic violence intervention project which includes emergency shelter for at-risk victims, counseling, legal information and housing.
- Society for the Protection and Care of Children -- $40,000 to support individual and group counseling programs for battered women and their children, as well as supervised visitation and exchange services.
"The HopeLine Program is designed to raise awareness of domestic violence and help fund prevention efforts," said Ken Dixon, president of Verizon Wireless' Upstate New York Region. "These six organizations are leaders in domestic violence prevention, education and counseling in the Rochester area. We applaud the work they do and hope these grants will help them continue to make a positive impact in our community."
Rochester's Mayor Robert Duffy will host a short ceremony to recognize these organizations at City Hall, 30 Church Street, on Tuesday, February 28th at 4:00 p.m. Ken Dixon will also be on hand to discuss the HopeLine Program and Verizon Wireless' role in domestic violence prevention and awareness.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 51.3 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To receive broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About HopeLine Marking its 11th year in 2006, HopeLine today collects wireless phones and accessories from any wireless service provider, and then refurbishes the phones or recycles them in an environmentally friendly way. Proceeds from the HopeLine program benefit victims of domestic violence and non-profit advocacy agencies, providing essential communication tools of wireless phones and wireless services, and financial grants. Phone donations are accepted at all Verizon Wireless Stores across the country. For additional information, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/hopeline.####