BASKING RIDGE, NJ and DALLAS — Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung) and Verizon Wireless, operator of the nation's most reliable wireless network, set a new standard for mobile camera phones today with the availability of the SCH-a990, the first 3.2 mega pixel digital camera phone available to Verizon Wireless customers. The SCH-a990 enables photo enthusiasts to take high-resolution photos of a similar print quality as a standalone digital camera. In addition, the SCH-a990 boasts a number of media features, including video recording capabilities, V CAST to view video and V CAST Music to download music directly to the phone and Bluetooth® wireless technology, to allow a customer to print pictures wirelessly from the SCH-a990 to a Bluetooth-enabled printer basic print profile.
The SCH-a990 has a unique design that looks first like a phone and then, when the screen is rotated 180 degrees, like a camera. This innovative design, along with the high resolution and features such as a flash and in-camera photo editing software, make the SCH-a990 the first mobile device that is as much a camera as it is a multimedia phone.
The SCH-a990 is also a strong V CAST multimedia phone with full music, video and game capabilities on a high-resolution screen. V CAST Music lets customers play music on their wireless phones the same device they have come to rely upon for entertainment, information and mobile communication. V CAST customers can browse, preview, download and play high-quality digital music from their SCH-a990 over Verizon Wireless' broadband network the most award-winning wireless broadband network in the nation or from the Verizon Wireless V CAST Music online store using a personal computer.
With V CAST on the SCH-a990, customers can view video clips from the hottest names in entertainment, news, sports and more in the palms of their hands. V CAST is currently available to more than 150 million Americans from coast to coast.
"The launch of the a990 marks the first time a multimedia phone is fully integrated with a high resolution camera in the U.S.," said Peter Skarzynski, senior vice president, Samsung. "With a design that feels and looks like a phone and camera, Samsung's a990 is the premiere print quality camera phone for photo enthusiasts in the U.S. market."
The new SCH-a990 also supports Verizon Wireless' VZ Navigator, a tool for customers that includes mapping, audible turn-by-turn navigation and the ability to find over 14 million points of interest. Other key features include:
- 3.2 mega pixel digital camera with flash, auto focus, picture editor, PictBridge Digital Printing, Zoom, TV-out and 180 degree Swivel Screen
- V CAST-capable:
- V CAST Music download songs over the air or transfer your own music collection onto removable microSDTM memory cards*
- Device supports dedicated external Music keys for easy use and listening pleasure
- V CAST Video and 3D Games download or stream video from the best names in news, sports, entertainment and more or download the latest 3D games from top providers
- Get It Now® -capable download games, ring tones, wallpapers and more
- Mobile Web 2.0SM -capable customizable, enhanced wireless access to the latest in news, sports, weather and more
- Camcorder with up to one-hour recording time*
- TXT, PIX and FLIX Messaging capabilities
- Bluetooth® wireless technology supports a basic print profile as well as headset, hands free, serial port and dial up networking profiles**
- Expandable memory with microSD memory card slot
- Voice dialing with advanced speech recognition
- Quick Search support to find menu items and contacts
- Business Card Scan capability
- Dimensions: 3.80" x 1.88" x .82", 4.40 ounces with standard battery
- T-9® easy text input
- TTY compatible
- Bilingual user interface: English and Spanish
- Personal organizer with calendar, calculator, to-do list, currency converter, alarm clock, world time, and a stop watch
To get V CAST from Verizon Wireless, customers simply equip their SCH-a990 with a V CAST VPak subscription for $15.00 monthly access added to their Verizon Wireless calling plan. Unlimited basic video clips are included, but application download fees apply for 3D games, music and premium video. For more information, visit www.getvcast.com.
The SCH-a990 is available for $349.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement and is available today online at www.verizonwireless.com and will be available in more than 1,900 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores on July 24, 2006.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or visit www.verizonwireless.com.
*Memory card sold separately.**Phone does not support all Bluetooth object exchange (OBEX) profiles.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 53 million voice and data customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Samsung Telecommunications America Samsung Telecommunications America, L.P., a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, see STA's website at www.samsungwireless.com.
About Samsung Electronics Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2005 parent company sales of US$56.7 billion and net income of US$7.5 billion. Employing approximately 128,000 people in over 90 offices in 51 countries, the company consists of five main business units: Digital Appliance Business, Digital Media Business, LCD Business, Semiconductor Business and Telecommunication Network Business. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, memory chips, mobile phones, and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.####