INDIANAPOLIS, IN — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $136 million in 2007 to enhance its digital network in Indiana. The enhancements included building new and upgrading existing cell sites, increasing coverage area, expanding its high-speed wireless broadband network to many new markets, and upgrading and expanding a facility housing the electronics that run much of Verizon Wireless' network in 29 Indiana counties.
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested nearly $870 million on improvements to its network in Indiana, including the following upgrades made in 2007:
- Thirty-eight new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; download music, games and ringtones; and view high-quality videos while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
- Equipment on 193 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
- Thirty-one permanent backup generators were installed at Indiana cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
- The company expanded its high-speed wireless broadband network to 154 cell sites across Indiana. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two prime services:
- BroadbandAccess, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless' business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, e-mail, and critical business information residing behind their companies' firewalls; and
- V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
- A $30 million expansion and upgrade of one of its Mobile Telephone Switching Offices (MTSO) in Indianapolis was completed, further enhancing network reliability for customers statewide. The expanded facility, which is now capable of processing nearly 54 million calls daily, has increased in size from 16,000 to 20,000 square feet to accommodate the growing demand for products and services by an increasing number of Indiana customers.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 63.7 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 68,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####