CHICAGO, IL — Verizon Wireless today announced a first-of-its-kind partnership with the City of Chicago to provide free 311 non-emergency public service calls for customers using Verizon Wireless' service within the city limits.
This partnership will help facilitate more convenient access to City of Chicago departments and services for Verizon Wireless customers using their phones in the city. Currently, the City of Chicago handles an average of 4,600 calls per day from wireless phones, but that number is expected to rise as Verizon Wireless customers embrace the free service.
"Since 1999, 311 City Services has served as a gateway to government programs and non-emergency services here in Chicago, receiving more than 4.5 million calls annually," said Phillip Hampton, director, 311 City Services.
"Verizon Wireless greatly appreciates the opportunity to lead the way in providing wireless users with free access to the city's great 311 resources," said T.J. Fox, presidentIllinois/Wisconsin Region, Verizon Wireless. "This is just another way Chicago is a leader in embracing technology to make the city a better place."
About the City of Chicago's 311 Service Chicago's award winning 311 system, which has served as a model for other cities, was implemented by Mayor Richard Daley in 1999 and receives approximately 13,000 calls per day. It is meant to be used as a "one-stop shop" for calls about public service needs including: city service requests, reporting police non-emergencies or receiving information on city programs, services and events.
Additional details about the City's 311 Service:
- Handles record call volume of more than 4.5 million calls annually.
- Operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Receives requests for city services and forwards them to the appropriate departments.
- Tracks a record number of city service requests-Approximately 2,007,584 (Including Duplicates); 1,855,319 (Excluding Duplicates).
- Processes more than 100,000 non-emergency police complaints annually, freeing officers time for emergency response and community policing.
- Named winner of the Kennedy School of Government's Innovations in American Government Award.
- Serves as the city's 911 back-up facility.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 65.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.####