BASKING RIDGE, NJ — With temperatures plunging across the U.S., Verizon Wireless, the nation’s leading wireless company with the most reliable wireless voice and data network, offers customers tips to prepare their wireless phones for the cold weather:
- Charge your phone or PDA frequently. Cold temperatures can run down the phone’s battery charge more quickly. Use your car charger to keep your phone’s charge if you get stranded or stuck in traffic due to winter weather.
- Handle your handset with care. The display cover can become brittle when exposed to cold temperatures for long periods of time.
- Keep your phone in a warm place; avoid leaving it in an outside pocket or backpack or in the car overnight. Prolonged exposure to the cold may affect the phone’s display screen. When outside in the cold weather, carry your phone in an inside jacket pocket, keeping it close to your body for warmth.
- Check your phone’s signal strength in a non-emergency situation to know where the signal is strong and where it’s not.
- Maintain a list of emergency phone numbers – police, fire and rescue agencies; power companies; insurance providers; family, friends and co-workers; etc. – and program them into your phone. Add highway department and school numbers to check for local road and school closings and “no tow” orders.
- Be prepared before heading outside by checking weather, traffic and news reports available on most wireless phones.
Verizon Wireless is dedicated to delivering outstanding customer satisfaction by providing a positive wireless experience to its customers. The company has invested more than $48 billion since it was formed – $5.5 billion on average every year – to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. Backup battery and generator systems at the company’s nationwide network of cell towers and switching centers also provide a greater degree of reliability in the event of local electrical power outages due to the inclement weather.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 83.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.