IRVINE, CA — More than 750 small business owners throughout Los Angeles and Orange counties applied for several $2,500 grants presented by the Verizon Wireless program Organiza, Crece, Triunfa to encourage technological advancement of small business enterprises. In all, 24 businesses were selected statewide, with prizes going out to18 Southern California businesses. The coveted Small Business Awards prize package, valued at more than $5,000, includes $2,500 in cash, three Motorola Adventure push-to-talk phones and one Family SharePlan® service valued at $2,500 for one year. Businesses were honored and presented with their awards at ceremonies that took place on June 10th and June 11th in Los Angeles.
“Small businesses are growing at a rapid pace, which increases their owners’ need to learn about and invest in technological solutions that can help their organizations thrive,” said Oscar Madrid Director of Multicultural Marketing for Verizon Wireless’ West Area. “Through Organiza, Crece, Triunfa we want to forge partnerships, educate and help business owners and their organizations get to the next level. We hope these grant awards help each of the winning businesses do just that.”
The winning businesses represent a variety of industries and cities throughout the Southland:
Business, Owner, Location
- Contra-Tiempo, Ana María Alvarez, Los Angeles
- Jasmin Flowers, Leticia Gutiérrez, Montebello
- Empresarios Garcia, Jose Luis Garcia, Montebello
- Mz Bliss Body Jewelry, Miguel Soto, Los Angeles
- Real Cuts Barber Shop, Teresa Real, Montebello
- Fresh Cuts, Michael Reynosa, Baldwin Park
- La Casa de la Salud, Blanca Flores, Pico Rivera
- VIP Party Rental Inc., Ana L Montes, Whittier
- Royal Audio, Brenda Cisneros, Maywood
- Mueblería La Esquinita, Celia Torres, Bell
- Creative Programs, Estelle Barrios, Anaheim
- Brown Image Tattoo, Sonia Garcia, Huntington Park
- Chapinlandia Market & Restaurant, Silvia Calderon, South Gate
- DFG Staffing, Hector Reyes, Orange
- Vanity Style Beauty Salon, Maria Prieto, South Gate
- Coffee & Chrome, Christine Castro, Fullerton
- La Nueva Poblana, Salvador Miranda, Lynwood
- Loly’s Salon de Belleza, Maria Dolores Garcia, Huntington Park
Virtually all business owners mentioned the need to update their systems and ‘modernize’ their operations, but Christine Castro, from Coffee & Chrome in Fullerton spoke for many when she addressed how she could use the Verizon Wireless’ technology grant to run her coffee shop, an enterprise she founded after 35 years in the corporate world.
“It can help me understand how to use my BlackBerry to distribute advertisements, offer discounts to my customers or talk about upcoming events. This program will also help me make use of mobile internet to access my business – sales, inventory, etc. – from wherever I am.”
As part of Organiza, Crece, Triunfa, Verizon Wireless partnered with local Hispanic Chambers of Commerce to host local mixers called “Café con Leche” where small business owners learned about marketing strategies and technology solutions to help their firms flourish. Small business owners can continue to access business tools including articles, business directory, events and products and services which can provide new ways to move and grow your small business into the 21st century by visiting www.verizonmicroempresa.com or www.verizonwirelesssmallbusiness.com. To date, more than 1,000 businesses have submitted their information and created their own personal Web page on the Organiza, Crece, Triunfa site where customers can view and find out more about their services.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 86.6 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 86,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.