OMAHA, NE — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $50.4 million in 2009 to enhance its digital network in Nebraska. The enhancements included building six new cell sites and upgrading equipment on 41 existing cell sites to increase coverage and capacity of the company’s voice and 3G high-speed wireless network.
“With the integration of Alltel, we expanded our network coverage in Nebraska to over 70,000 square-miles, more than 91 per cent of the state,” said Nancy Clark, president–Great Plains Region, Verizon Wireless. “We also expanded our 3G network coverage and capacity in Nebraska. We continually invest in our network to enable us to stay ahead of our customers’ increasing demands for fast and secure wireless data services.”
From 2004 through 2009, Verizon Wireless invested more than $151.1 million on improvements to its network in Nebraska, including the following upgrades made in 2009:
- Six new cell sites were activated throughout the state to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make voice calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; access the Internet; view high-quality videos; and download music, games and ringtones, while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
- Performance-based equipment was installed at 41 cell sites across Nebraska, increasing capacity of the company’s advanced 3G high-speed wireless network as well as improving its speed and performance.
- The former Alltel 3G network was upgraded in western Nebraska, offering consumers faster upload and download data speeds.
- A new data-only switch was added at the West Omaha Mobile Telephone Switching Office (MTSO) for current and future 3G network capacity in Nebraska.
- Permanent backup generators were installed at an additional six Nebraska cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
Verizon Wireless has invested more than $55 billion since it was formed—$5.5 billion on average every year—to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide network and to add new services. In 2009 alone, the company invested $7 billion to expand and advance its network.
About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 91 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NASDAQ and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.