CARTHAGE, MO — Verizon Wireless is bringing a COLT to Marian Days in Carthage, Missouri August 2 – 5, but it’s not the kind of colt you may be picturing. This 20,000 pound COLT is actually a vehicle equipped with an antenna mounted on a 40-foot tower, along with a back-up generator. It is packed with network equipment that will be used to increase calling capacity for the thousands of wireless phone users attending the four-day event.
A COLT, or “cell on light truck,” is a fully functional, mobile cell site that enhances wireless capacity in a given area, thereby enabling thousands of extra customers in the area to use their wireless phones concurrently to make calls; send and receive email and text, picture and video messages; access the Internet; view high-quality videos and download music, games and ringtones, while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
Not only can a COLT enhance service surrounding large-scale entertainment and cultural events, it can also be used in times of disaster. Verizon Wireless’ COLTs can be rolled into hard-hit locations or areas that temporarily need extra network capacity.
- View the Verizon Wireless COLT on-site at Marian Days beginning July 31 and learn about how these trucks can aid network facilities during an event, disaster, or other interruption, and process thousands of calls every hour.
- Obtain information on how the wireless network works and what Verizon Wireless does to enhance service to customers.
- Conduct interviews with Verizon Wireless network operations representatives.
- High tech, 20,000 pound vehicle with 30-foot antenna and generator.
- Network equipment inside the vehicle.
For more information or to schedule an interview, please contact Brenda Hill at 913-344-2922 or via email at Brenda.Hill@VerizonWireless.com.
About Verizon WirelessVerizon Wireless operates the nation’s largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 94.2 million retail customers, including 88.8 million retail postpaid customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 78,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.