This policy applies to website visitors, app users and MapQuest customers in Canada.
Protecting our customers' privacy is an important priority at MapQuest and we are committed to maintaining strong and meaningful privacy protections. The privacy of your information is a significant responsibility and we value the trust you place in us.
This policy applies to website visitors, app users and MapQuest customers in Canada.
MapQuest services include an app and website that provide capabilities such as turn-by-turn directions and direct booking with ride sharing services, local transit, restaurants and hotels (where available).
Information we collect
- Information you give to us: We collect information you provide to us (such as your name, picture, email, home, work and favorite addresses).
- Information we collect about your use of MapQuest services: We collect information about your browser and device (such as your IP address, mobile telephone number, mobile device identifiers, device type, and browser or operating system), and your use of the MapQuest services including searches you conduct, directions we provide and route data. To provide some of its services, MapQuest requires information about the precise location of your device. With your consent, we collect or infer your precise location using cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS location information we obtain from your device. Information, including location, may be collected from your device even when you are not using the app.
- Information we receive from other sources: We receive data from other Verizon affiliates (including AOL) as well as third parties (including business partners, third party technology vendors, social media websites that you use and advertising networks).
How we use information
Information we collect is used to:
- deliver, maintain and support MapQuest services;
- authenticate your identity;
- administer and enhance our app and website features;
- contact you with marketing and promotional offers about our service or other services we offer consistent with the consents you provide
- notify you about changes to the MapQuest service;
- help you with service-related issues or questions;
- manage and protect our services and users from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses;
- provide social network interactions; and
- customize and personalize your experiences including the advertisements you see.
How we share the information
We may share customer information collected from MapQuest within the Verizon family of companies, including AOL.
We also share your information with vendors and business partners for business purposes, for example when we need them to perform work on our behalf to provide you with the MapQuest services. We require that these vendors and partners protect your information through contractual provisions or other similar means.
Information in a form that does not identify you personally may be shared with third parties who use if for purposes such as traffic reporting.
With your permission, information MapQuest collects may also be shared with third parties for interest-based advertising purposes or for other independent use.
We may also disclose information that individually identifies you or your device in certain circumstances, such as:
- to comply with valid legal obligations, such as court orders or search warrants, and as otherwise required by law;
- in cases involving danger of death or serious physical injury to any person or other emergencies;
- to protect our rights or property, or the safety of our customers or employees;
- to prospective buyers, acquirers or sellers of our business or assets in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets; or
- with your consent.
International data transfer
MapQuest is based in the United States, and, regardless of where you use MapQuest services or provide information to us, your information may be transferred to and maintained on servers located in the U.S. Your information may also be processed by U.S-based MapQuest employees and contractors who support the operation of the MapQuest services. Information we obtain about you will be stored and processed in accordance with U.S. privacy laws, regulations, and standards, which may not be identical to the laws in your country of residence. We take steps to ensure that customer information is protected when transferred, stored or processed in the U.S., such as by implementing contractual controls. By using MapQuest services or providing us with your information, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the United States.
Your choices regarding collection and use of your information
You can control whether MapQuest services may collect and use precise location information using the location settings available on your device. For more information, please review your device settings.
Click on the following links to learn about opting out of online interest based advertising and using mobile device advertising controls. Note that opting out of interest based advertising does not mean you will stop seeing advertisements, but it does mean that those advertisements will not be customized to reflect your interests.
In accordance with industry self-regulatory principles, we require that companies disclose when they deliver interest-based ads on MapQuest or collect information through MapQuest for these purposes. You may visit Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada's Consumer Choices to learn more or to limit the collection of information by parties who participate in the industry’s opt-out page.
MapQuest has technical, administrative and physical safeguards in place to help protect against unauthorized access to, use or disclosure of customer information we collect or store. Employees are trained on the importance of protecting privacy and on the proper access to, use and disclosure of customer information. Under our practices and policies, access to sensitive personally identifiable information is authorized only for those who have a business need for such access.
Personally identifiable and other sensitive records are retained only as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we process them (as described elsewhere in this policy) or otherwise for strictly necessary business, accounting, tax or legal purposes.
Although we work hard to protect personal information that we collect and store, no program is 100% secure and we cannot guarantee that our safeguards will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use or disclose personal information. We maintain security and incident response plans to handle incidents involving unauthorized access to private information we collect or store.
Links to third party content
The MapQuest website and application may contain links to third party websites or applications that are not associated with MapQuest and over which we have no control. We are not responsible for the content on these sites or platforms or the privacy policies and practices employed by these sites and applications. We recommend that you review the policies and practices of any third party websites or apps that you visit.
We strive to keep our customer records as accurate as possible. You may correct, update or request access to your MapQuest customer information at any time. You also have the right to ask us to delete or to stop processing your information, although this could affect our ability to provide you with the MapQuest services you have requested. If you wish to exercise any of your rights, please contact us using the contact details provided below. In order to better protect you and safeguard your information, we may take steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections to your information.
You also have the right to opt out of receiving direct marketing communications by following the instruction presented to you when we collect your information, or by contacting us using the contact details below. We will also include an “unsubscribe” instruction in marketing communications we send to you.
Changes to this policy
We reserve the right to make changes to this Policy, so please check back periodically for changes. You will be able to see that changes have been made by checking to see the effective date posted at the end of the policy. If MapQuest elects to use or disclose information that identifies you as an individual in a manner that is materially different from that stated in our policy at the time we collected that information from you, we will give you a choice regarding such use or disclosure by appropriate means, which may include use of an opt out mechanism.
Verizon Privacy Office
1300 I Street, NW
Suite 400 West
Washington, DC 20005