Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements

NOTE 7

MINORITY INTEREST

Minority interests in equity of subsidiaries were as follows:

(dollars in millions)

At December 31,

2007

 

2006

 

Minority interests in consolidated subsidiaries:

Wireless joint venture

$

31,782

 

$

27,854

 

Cellular partnerships and other

 

506

 

 

483

 

$

32,288

 

$

28,337

 

Wireless Joint Venture

The wireless joint venture was formed in April 2000 in connection with the combination of the U.S. wireless operations and interests of Verizon and Vodafone. The wireless joint venture operates as Verizon Wireless. Verizon owns a controlling 55% interest in Verizon Wireless and Vodafone owns the remaining 45%.

Under the terms of an investment agreement, Vodafone had the right to require Verizon Wireless to purchase up to an aggregate of $20 billion worth of Vodafone’s interest in Verizon Wireless at designated times (put windows) at its then fair market value, not to exceed $10 billion in any one put window. The last of these put windows opened on June 10 and closed on August 9 in 2007. Vodafone did not exercise its right during this period and no longer has any right to require the purchase of any of its interest in Verizon Wireless.

Cellular Partnerships and Other

In August 2002, Verizon Wireless and Price Communications Corp. (Price) combined Price’s wireless business with a portion of Verizon Wireless. The resulting limited partnership, Verizon Wireless of the East LP (VZ East), is controlled and managed by Verizon Wireless. In exchange for its contributed assets, Price received a limited partnership interest in VZ East which was exchangeable into the common stock of Verizon Wireless if an initial public offering of that stock occurred, or into the common stock of Verizon on the fourth anniversary of the asset contribution date. On August 15, 2006, Verizon delivered 29.5 million shares of newly-issued Verizon common stock to Price valued at $1,007 million in exchange for Price’s limited partnership interest in VZ East. As a result of acquiring Price’s limited partnership interest, Verizon recorded goodwill of $345 million in the third quarter of 2006 attributable to its Domestic Wireless segment.