PC Optimization Tools improve and maintain your computer's performance by providing easy-to-use disk defragmenter and clean-up tools.
Over time and through regular activity such as adding and deleting files, information can become scattered throughout your hard drive. This scattering is known as fragmentation, and it increases the time it takes the computer to access files you open. When a file is opened, the computer may need to look in several locations to access the file, which might make your computer appear to run slower.
File fragmentation is caused when the operating system on your computer fragments files that are too large to store in the original location on the hard drive. This happens when you update a file, delete files, or add new files to your computer. When you open a file, the software may have to look in several locations to find and read all of the fragments belonging to that file.
Defragmentation is the process of moving and organizing the file fragments closer together on your hard drive. This enables the hard drive to find and read the files faster, which improves computer performance.
Note: Defragmentation does not move your personal files from the original folder locations on your hard drive. You can still find all of your personal files in their original locations on the Desktop, in My Documents, or in other folders where you previously stored them.
QuickClean optimizes your PC's performance by deleting unnecessary files that can slow down your hard drive.This tool cleans areas you specify, including your Recycle Bin, temporary files, shortcuts, lost file fragments, registry files, cached files, cookies, Internet Explorer browser history files, sent and deleted email, and old Active-X files. You can use QuickClean as needed, and you can schedule it to clean your PC regularly and automatically.
To perform a QuickClean:
- On the Home Page, open the PC Optimization drawer.
- Click QuickClean.
- Under QuickClean, click Settings. Note: Settings are also accessible by clicking the settings icon in the top-right corner of the QuickClean pane.
- On the QuickClean settings pane, select the files that you want to clean, or keep the default selections.
- Click Save. To restore the default settings, click Reset from the QuickClean settings pane.
To defragment the hard drive:
- On the Home Page, click Navigation.
- Under Tools, click Defragmenter.
- Under Defragmenter, click Defragment.
- Select your disk drive and Analyze disk to determine if your disk needs defragmenting.
- If applicable, select the Defragment disk button.
- When the defragmentation is complete, you may view the results by clicking View Report button.
- Click Close when your defragment is complete.
For ordering and troubleshooting information, visit VISS General Support