Required Equipment for FiOS TV
In addition to the equipment required for FiOS Internet Service, the following equipment is also required for FiOS TV:
- TV: FiOS TV is compatible with all TV types. A cable-ready TV tuner gives you reception of local service below channels 49. To take advantage of the FiOS TV Digital Video Recorder (DVR) service, a TV must have a video and audio input. The input can be the typical yellow, white and red cables, a 3 wire component, or an S-Video along with audio cables. High Definition (HDTV) service requires an HDTV, an HD Set-Top Box, and HDMI or DVI cables with an adapter.
- Home wiring: Verizon FiOS TV requires coaxial cable to connect from the FiOS Optical Network Terminal on the outside of your home to your TV or Set-Top Box.
- Set-Top Box: To receive digital programming, premium channels, the Interactive Media Guide or On Demand programming, a Set-Top Box is required. We offer three types of Set-Top Boxes:
- Standard Definition (SD) - provides digital audio and video quality. It gives you access to the FiOS TV Interactive Media Guide, access to over 45 all-digital music channels, and lets you order Pay-Per-View or On Demand shows where available.
- High Definition (HD) - provides all the features of the Standard Definition Set-Top Box and provides access to HD content.
- Digital Video Recorder (DVR) - provides all the features of the High Definition Set-Top Box and lets you pause and rewind live TV as well as record one show while watching another.
If you do not already have Verizon FiOS Internet service, the following equipment will also be installed by your Verizon FiOS TV technician:
- Optical Network Terminal (ONT) - An ONT will be installed on the outside of your home, and a battery backup unit will be installed inside your home or garage. The ONT needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet inside your garage or home, so you'll need to ensure an outlet is located close to where the ONT will be installed.
- Router - A router is used to provide program information and On Demand programming to your Set-Top Box over the coaxial TV cables in your home. The router provides a more secure networking environment and ensures the quality of service necessary to deliver the FiOS TV service. In the future, should you choose, the router will facilitate application and content sharing in the home between your TVs and computers.
If you have Verizon FiOS Internet service, you already have an ONT and router in place. An additional ONT and router are not required in this situation.
Additional information regarding FiOS TV equipment
Learn more about FiOS TV