Unix Operations Engineer
This job posting is no longer active
This job posting is no longer active
Verizon Wireless Data Mediation systems provide VZW enterprise-wide, near real-time collection, mediation and distribution of all network billing and usage detail records to subscribed VZW systems including billing, customer care and revenue assurance. This Operations engineer position is responsible for the advanced operations and maintenance support of the enterprise wide production Verizon Wireless Operations and Data Mediation applications and Unix systems.
As an operations engineer working on Verizon’s critical production application infrastructure, your mission will be to ensure customer call detail records are delivered on time to all internal subscribed systems including billing and customer care. You will be in the thick of solving the often unexpected problems of systems at a level that most operations engineers never experience. You will be responsible for driving performance and reliability, along with troubleshooting software across a nationwide Unix infrastructure, where data is measured in petabytes and gigabits, and scaling systems by orders of magnitude is routine. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and work with teams across the Verizon Wireless organization.
The successful candidate for this role will have strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, fluency in scripting, experience with applications that run in a Unix environment, software systems and database, solid communication skills and a desire to tackle the complex problems of scale which are unique to Verizon Wireless. We are particularly interested in engineers with operations experience and familiar with aspects of running large-scale UNIX applications with in-depth UNIX scripting experience a strong plus.
• Provide 1st and 2nd tier production support for NSS Operations and Data Mediation applications and server environments
• Respond to, research and resolve trouble tickets, system alarms, production issues - determining severity and effect repair and resolution. Composes clear and concise reports and journal entries for team and system documentation
• Provide data validation and analysis of Call Detail and Usage Records from various network elements; research missing usage and call detail records
• Troubleshoot, upgrade, and administer various mediation and non-mediation applications and systems
• Ensure high quality customer service and provide support to varied user communities
• Maintain UNIX system environments, scripts, and configuration changes
• Develop & maintain automation of scripts and tools on UNIX platforms
• Prioritizes and manages the work activities relevant to the teams areas of responsibility
• Perform duties with minimum supervision
• Participate in cross-functional projects as required
• On-call rotation, after hours and weekend shift work required
• Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or AA degree in Computer Science with Unix certifications or 5+ years as a Unix/Linux system administrator.
• Required: Unix proficiency (Unix commands, tools and shell scripting-awk, ksh, PERL);
• Required: PC Proficiency with MS Office Suite experience (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio, MS Outlook)
• Preferred: SQL, Oracle Database;
• Preferred: Experience with at least one non-scripting programming language; operational support experience; and Wireless industry experience
• Preferred: Proficiency providing status updates to senior management
• Demonstrated strong technical and analytical skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
• Team player who believes in sharing knowledge and learning from their teammates
• Demonstrates integrity, a high level of accountability, ownership, a sense of urgency and with a can do attitude; continually fosters a sense of teamwork and oneness
• Experience providing status updates to management
• Experience with the data mediation systems such as Openet FusionWorks or other vendor mediation systems a plus
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer m/f/d/v.