This job posting is no longer active
This job posting is no longer active
The Technician - Systems is responsible for the advanced installation, operation, and maintenance of the regional data network elements, ensuring network integrity and quality. These networks include, but are not limited to Routers, Switches, COIN, CDPD, ATM, OTN, CDMA Data, EWS, STP, OMP, EBH, Dark Fiber, desktop, and laptop PC’s, and peripherals. The Technician – Systems is expected to perform his/her duties with minimum supervision, and participate in cross-functional projects as scheduled.
• Troubleshooting; upgrading; administering these platforms and multiple vendor systems; maintaining system, element and platform applications; and providing support to a varied user community; updating daily logs with site-specific information; and composing clear, concise reports for system documentation.
• Conducting analysis of statistics for critical core elements.
• Providing and maintaining quality documentation for data system designs.
• Providing communication to Regional Engineering and Operations regarding projects, forecasts, and performance trends.
• Serving as Subject Matter Expert on all data issues concerning core data elements.
• Recommending system modifications or enhancements to improve the data network performance and quality.
• Coordinating and managing new data technology trails and implementation.
• Collaborating with the regional operations and engineering teams to create regular usage / forecasting reports, and plan for data network capacity.
Work with Verizon OTN and Inter-Area teams to implement and enhance the Wireless Data Network.
• Monitor system logs and performance tools for key network elements and interfaces and take appropriate actions as needed.
• Cross train other members of the team regarding data networks.
Bachelors Degree in Data Networking, Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
• Minimum of 3 yrs. experience in building, maintaining and operating data network systems.
• CCNA, Net+, and A+ certifications preferred.
• Experience with protocol, fiber and Ethernet testing required.
• EHealth, Sniffer, Session Trace, and Wireshark experience a must.
• Must have a clear understanding of CDMA networks and high speed wireless technologies; 1XRTT, EV-DO, EV-DO rev.A, LTE.
• Minimum of 3 years experience with TCP/IP, LAN/WAN and IP routing protocols (RIP, OSPF, BGP).
• Must understand IP addressing, subnets, VLAN, LAN/WAN (MPLS/VPN, Ethernet, GigE, OC3-OC192.)
• Experience with Cisco infrastructure, Network Design and protocols (HSRP) and Cisco catalyst switches
• Solid understanding of ATM networks (both Cisco and Ericsson) and protocol layer architectures.
• Experience engineering, monitoring, and growing large, complex data networks.
• Excellent understanding of PDSN, HA, IXRNC, FA and AAA servers.
• Must understand SIP, MIP and 3G technologies as well as VoIP and related protocols (H.323. SIP, MGCP).
• Experience in wireless switching environment (Nortel, Ericsson, Motorola, and Lucent) desirable.
• Must have strong work ethic, integrity and work extremely well in a team environment.
• Must possess a proactive work style with the ability to set priorities, work with minimum supervision and with a diverse group of professionals.
• Must be detail oriented and able to follow up through to completion on all assignments/projects/deadlines.
• Must have the initiative to independently identify issues, come up with timely, creative solutions, and own issues through resolution.
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with all levels of management.
• Must be available to work nights, weekends, holidays, and on call as required.
• Must be available to travel to attend training and meetings off site as required
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer m/f/d/v.