Troubleshooting No Dial Tone
Investigate the problem
If the problem continues, troubleshoot your phone equipment
Is the problem on all your telephone sets?
- If you cannot hear a dial tone on your phone, check to make sure that all receivers are on the hook and the telephone line is secure in the wall jack.
- If the problem is on one phone only, use a different phone. If you still do not have a dial tone, try a different phone jack to determine whether the issue is with the phone or the phone jack.
If the issue is with the phone jack or is happening on all of your phones, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to diagnose your telephone's problem and request a repair if an issue is detected.
- If your problem is happening on all of your calls, go to each device and begin to disconnect them one at a time.
- After you disconnect a device, leave it disconnected. Wait 30 seconds, then go to the next device and check if it has a dial tone.
If there is a dial tone, then the last device that was unplugged is the faulty device and should be replaced.
- Reconnect all other devices except the faulty device and check each for proper operation.
If the faulty device now works, mark it and if the problem happens again you can check that device first.
Related Phone Troubleshooting topics