Join the 2021 Virtual March on Washington.
Answer the call for social justice by volunteering.
Our editorial transparency tool uses blockchain technology to permanently log all changes made to official releases after publication. However, this post is not an official release and therefore not tracked. Visit our learn more for more information.
On August 28, 1963, the first March on Washington was held to bring attention to inequalities faced by Black and African Americans. Fifty-eight years later, we have seen progress in many parts of society, but the need to build a more connected and equitable world still exists.
Remembering the profound words of Dr. Martin Luther King in his “I Have a Dream” speech, “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
This year’s March on Washington offers the opportunity to raise your voice and raise your hand in support of those who are continuing on the path towards justice for all.
We are committed to driving effective and sustained action both within and beyond our walls. Through Citizen Verizon, Verizon's responsible business plan, our investment to help vulnerable communities is on track to exceed $3 billion between 2020 - 2025. As V Teamers, one great way to show our support is by volunteering in support of racial and social justice reform and bring to light the deeper issues that face society, locally and globally.
This year's March on Washington will be held on August 28, with a focus on voting rights and the end of voter suppression. We encourage you to learn more about this historic moment, get involved in one of our Employee Resource Groups, including BOLD, and get involved in the volunteer opportunities listed below.
Like Dr. King, we have a dream that diverse voices and backgrounds will be celebrated, and that the next generation of leaders will not have to continue to fight the same battles. It starts with just one step #ForwardTogether.
Ways to get involved:
- Volunteer as a team and share your words of wisdom with NPower. NPower is a national nonprofit organization that serves as the link between employers hiring diverse IT talent and job seekers from under-served communities nationwide. Volunteers will share their advice and encouragement on remote work, prioritizing projects and professional development. Verizon Media employees are encouraged to participate in event ID #4854
- Add pictures to The Last Mile’s photo curation project. This event creates a photo repository for justice impacted students without internet access to use for coding projects. This data collection project is open to everyone and can be completed at any time. Verizon Media employees can help students get creative in this event ID #4044
- If you enjoy history, you will love the Freedmen's Bureau Transcription Project. The National Museum of African American History and Culture has collaborated with the Smithsonian Transcription Center to transcribe more than 1.5 million image files from the Freedmen’s Bureau records. Transcribing these original documents will increase our understanding of the post-Civil War era as well as our knowledge of post-Emancipation family life. Verizon Media teammates are encouraged to join in event ID 2153.
- Support low-income and BIPOC communities in STEM. Become an Academic Coach and help make a positive impact on education equity for minority students in the U.S. UPchieve helps thousands of students with their homework, test prep and college applications. Verizon Media team mates are encouraged to join in event ID 4003.
- Join Street Law as a guest speaker.. Street Law’s goal is to empower people with the legal and civic knowledge, skills, and confidence to bring about positive change for themselves and others. V Team and Verizon Media volunteers will receive training to facilitate 30-minute discussions selected from four units of the Street Law-authored Legal Life Skills Lesson Library.
No matter what event you choose to engage in, we thank you for your continued commitment to moving the world forward for all. Share your stories with us at Good@Verizon.com
To keep up with all the latest stories from inside Verizon, be sure to download the Inside Verizon App from Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.