Mandatory 10-digit dialing begins February 11 in Central New York’s 315 area code
More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
NEW YORK – As part of the upcoming introduction of the new 680 area code in Central New York, mandatory 10-digit dialing will begin on February 11 for residential and business customers within the existing 315 area code. All calls made within and between area codes 315 and 680 must be placed using the 10-digit telephone number (315 or 680 plus the 7-digit telephone number).
To ensure a continuing supply of telephone numbers, the New York Public Service Commission approved an area code overlay for the area served by 315. The new 680 area code will be overlaid over the same geographical area as the existing 315 area code. Phone numbers with the new 680 code will begin activating on March 11, 2017.
The most important facts that residents and businesses need to know about the upcoming 680 area code overlay are:
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- You will need to dial area code + telephone number for all calls within and between 315 and 680 area codes starting February 11, 2017.
- You will continue to dial 1+ area code + telephone number for all calls to other area codes (outside of 315 and 680).
- What is now a local call will remain a local call.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911.
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 are currently available in your community, you will still dial these numbers with just three digits.
Customers should identify their telephone number as a ten digit number (area code + 7-digit telephone number), and include the area code when giving the number to their friends, family, business associates and business customers, etc.
Customers should ensure that all services, automatic dialing equipment, applications, software, or other types of equipment recognize the new 680 area code as a valid area code. Some examples are life safety systems, fax machines, Internet dial-up numbers, alarm and security systems, gates, speed dialers, mobile phone contact lists, call forwarding settings, voicemail services, and similar functions.
They should also check their business stationery, advertising materials, personal checks, and personal or pet ID tags to ensure the area code is included in their telephone number.
Learn more about your area code information and the introduction of the new 680 area code, or visit the New York Public Service Commission’s website. If Verizon wireline customers have questions they should call 1-800 VERIZON (837-4966); Verizon Wireless customers should call 1-800-922-0204