Thanks to the generosity of Verizon Pennsylvania landline customers who participated in the company's Check Into Literacy program, 31 nonprofit organizations across Pennsylvania will share more than $160,000 in grants to support education programs, particularly those that use technology for teaching, learning and reaching more people.
"This program is a classic example of a little bit going a long way to address a significant challenge for our society," said Douglas R. Smith, vice president of external affairs for Verizon Pennsylvania. "Verizon customers who participated in the program have shown how much they care about education and our communities, and we applaud them for it."
The program allows Verizon landline phone customers to support education by checking a box on their monthly phone bills to make a $1 tax-deductible donation. Verizon then distributes these donations to local organizations that serve the individual states in which the customers live.
Contributions from Pennsylvania residents are part of more than $585,000 given this year to literacy organizations throughout the country through the Check Into Literacy program.
Grants have been awarded to the following Pennsylvania organizations:
- After School Activities Partnership, Philadelphia - $10,000
- Andrew Jackson School, Philadelphia - $3,000
- Bayard Rustin High School, West Chester - $5,000
- Beaver County Association for the Blind, Beaver Falls - $5,000
- Benjamin Franklin Elementary School, Philadelphia - $5,000
- Clarion County Literacy Council, Clarion - $5,000
- Downingtown STEM Academy, Downingtown - $4,300
- Erie Times News in Education, Erie - $5,000
- Fayette County Community Action Agency, Uniontown - $1,500
- Foundation for Reading Area Community College, Reading - $4,200
- Free Library of Philadelphia, Philadelphia - $25,000
- Grands As Parents, Philadelphia - $2,081
- Indiana Free Library, Inc., Indiana - $5,000
- Literacy Council for Schuylkill County, Pottsville - $5,000
- Mayor's Commission on Literacy, Philadelphia - $5,000
- Mid-State Literacy Council, State College - $5,000
- North Wales Area Library, North Wales - $5,000
- Panther Valley School District, Lansford - $5,000
- Penn State University - Brandywine, Media - $5,000
- Pennsylvania Association for Adult Continuing Education, Pittsburgh - $10,000
- Philadelphia Academies, Inc., Philadelphia - $5,000
- Philadelphia READS, Philadelphia - $5,000
- Philadelphia Young Playwrights, Philadelphia - $5,000
- Silver Springs-Martin Luther School, Plymouth Meeting - $3,500
- St. Anthony's Youth Center, Easton - $5,000
- St. Christopher's School, Philadelphia - $2,000
- Temple University - Grandma's Kids, Philadelphia - $2,500
- The Literacy Center of the Lehigh Valley, Allentown - $4,300
- Tickets for Kids, Pittsburgh - $2,000
- United Neighborhood Centers of NEPA, Scranton - $5,000
- Washington County Literacy Council, Washington - $5,000
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon, uses its technology, financial resources and partnerships to address critical social issues, with a focus on education and domestic violence prevention. In 2010, the foundation awarded nearly $67 million to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered nearly 6 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with more than 107 million total connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with $106.6 billion in 2010 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 195,000. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.