July 6, 1998—ALLENTOWN, PA— Bell Atlantic Mobile announced today that it has launched DigitalChoice(sm), the most sophisticated digital wireless service available, to the Lehigh Valley. DigitalChoice service delivers greater voice clarity, increased call reliability, inherent privacy and an array of paging and messaging services.
Customers benefit from having wireless coverage virtually anywhere in the United States since Bell Atlantic Mobile's digital phones will work on both analog and compatible Digital networks.
"DigitalChoice allows our customers to experience the most technologically advanced digital standard while still enjoying seamless coverage throughout the U.S.," said John Stratton, regional president of Bell Atlantic Mobile. "We've also redesigned our pricing structure to make it easier for current analog customers to convert to digital and for new customers to choose digital. We've made digital affordable for all consumers."
The new digital offerings include:
- Five DigitalChoice pricing packages starting at $19.99 with 15 included minutes of home airtime.
- Digital phones that may be rented for $5 per month with most price plans, in addition to standard purchase options.
- Unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. For customers who communicate frequently with other Bell Atlantic Mobile phone users on the Bell Atlantic Mobile network, this service is available for an additional $10 per month.
- Traveler Option: Customers can use their digital phone anywhere in the U.S. for a simple nationwide airtime rate of 50-cents per minute outside their local calling area, for a low $5 a month.
- Digital Numeric Paging – This service allows a Bell Atlantic Mobile digital phone to double as a pager for just $2.99 per month.
- Text Messaging – Customers can receive text messages on their digital phones for only $4.99 a month.
Bell Atlantic Mobile uses Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital service and leads the cellular industry in deploying CDMA. This "next generation" wireless technology greatly reduces static and cross talk and uses a unique noise suppression technique that enhances voice quality.
The battery life for CDMA digital handheld phones is dramatically improved when operating in digital mode, allowing as much as five hours of talk time and 65 hours of standby time, compared with the average analog phone which provides up to two hours of talk time and 18 hours of standby time.
Bell Atlantic Mobile launched the country's first CDMA commercial service in Trenton, NJ in March, 1996. Digital coverage is available in the Philadelphia metropolitan area which includes Philadelphia County as well as the six counties* surrounding that area, the entire state of Delaware, Cecil County Maryland and nine counties* of central and southern New Jersey . Bell Atlantic Mobile's digital phones are designed to automatically switch to analog mode when the user travels outside a digital service area, providing seamless cellular service to customers on Bell Atlantic Mobile's superior analog/digital network along the east coast and when traveling around the country.
* Counties in Pennsylvania with Bell Atlantic Mobile digital service include, Berks, Bucks, Delaware, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton and Philadelphia. Counties in New Jersey with Bell Atlantic Mobile digital service include, Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Glouchester, Mercer, Ocean, Salem and Warren.
Bell Atlantic Mobile owns and operates the largest wireless network in the East, covering 112,000 square miles, and the largest chain of retail outlets devoted exclusively to wireless voice, data and paging. Based in Bedminster, NJ, Bell Atlantic Mobile has 5.5 million customers and 7,000 employees from Maine to Georgia and, through a separate subsidiary, in the Southwest. Through its "Wireless at Work" community service program, the company uses its technology to help individuals and communities improve security and emergency communications. Bell Atlantic Mobile's parent is one of the world's largest wireless communications companies, with domestic operations in 25 states and international investments in Mexico, Europe and the Pacific Rim.