SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Spurred by significant growth in deployment and demand for its FiOS Internet and TV services around the country, Verizon is seeking to fill approximately 335 more positions over the next few years at its state-of-the-art Fiber Solutions Center (FSC) here.
The company, which already employs nearly 400 people at the center, is seeking candidates for management and associate positions to help customers purchase and maintain their FiOS Internet and TV products, which are delivered over Verizon's advanced fiber-optic network straight to customers' homes and businesses.
"The Fiber Solutions Center and its employees are playing a key role as Verizon provides our FiOS customers with an unprecedented broadband and video experience," said Maura Breen, Verizon senior vice president and general manager for New York. "Our employees are trained in all aspects of this technology so that they can help customers get the most out of the very best broadband and entertainment services available."
Assemblywoman Joan Christensen, D-Syracuse, said, "Verizon has made a commitment to the community and has kept its promise to continually provide us with new jobs and great benefits."
As part of the expansion, Verizon renovated a 30,000-square-foot space in its current location at 6360 Thompson Road in Syracuse to create a larger workspace for the call center. The $6 million project will provide the space necessary for new employees to serve FiOS customers across the country.
"This expansion further demonstrates our commitment to the Syracuse area," said Monica Azare, Verizon senior vice president for New York and Connecticut. "We're excited to help bolster the city's economy with the creation of more than 300 new jobs, and we look forward to seeing many local residents join our FiOS team."
Specially trained, union-represented fiber-customer-support analysts and fiber-network technicians in the center handle calls from customers who live in New York, Connecticut and other states where FiOS is available and who subscribe to FiOS Internet and TV services. The FSC staff also supports Verizon field technicians who install the new products, answering technical questions and remotely diagnosing and correcting problems. Verizon will offer candidates paid training, a generous benefits package and vacation time.
Some of the requirements for the new positions include:
- Basic understanding of communications networking components such as routers, Ethernet and network interface cards, as well as a working knowledge of PC hardware and software functionality.
- Training, education or experience related to PC home-networking technology.
- Working at a computer terminal assisting internal and external customers.
- Must be willing to work regularly scheduled hours including day, evening, night, weekend and holidays as required. Overtime may also be required.
Job responsibilities include:
- Answering incoming calls from customers with order inquiry and/or trouble reports.
- Providing fiber-to-home activation support.
- Analyzing and isolating trouble conditions.
- Initiating service-order corrections and changes.
- Understanding of PC components and functionality, the ability to work with customers on the telephone, and to isolate and resolve problems with the equipment at a customer location.
Candidates for the new positions can apply and schedule testing by visiting: www.verizon.com/fiberjobs.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving nearly 66 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of nearly 235,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of $93.5 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.