CANTON, Mass. -- Beginning today, consumers in Canton have more choice in cable TV providers now that Verizon has introduced FiOS TV, making a broad range of programming choices and superior picture quality available to some 6,000 households.
Canton is among 41 Massachusetts communities [see list below] where the company's new television service is being offered – the only TV service delivered over the nation's most advanced all-fiber network directly connecting to millions of individual homes and businesses. FiOS TV is now available to consumers in more than 270,000 Massachusetts households.
Verizon is currently negotiating with some 25 other communities in Massachusetts to obtain additional franchises. For more information on the Verizon franchise process in the state, visit www.verizon.com/ma.
"FiOS TV gives Canton consumers an outstanding, superior alternative for their video entertainment," said Donna Cupelo, Verizon region president for Massachusetts and Rhode Island. "Canton customers who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV. We've harnessed the speed and capacity of fiber-based broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new entertainment experience."
Massachusetts residents who are FiOS TV-eligible now have the option to trim their monthly bills by bundling FiOS TV service, FiOS Internet Service and the Verizon Freedom Value unlimited calling plan, all for $117.97 a month.
Service highlights include:
- FiOS TV Premier, the lead offer, delivers more than 200 all-digital channels for $42.99 per month.
- A total of 24 high-definition channels with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- More than 5,000 on-demand titles available to customers each month from a library that totals 8,600 titles.
- The choice of three set-top boxes: standard definition for $4.99 per month; high definition, which includes HD channels, for $9.99 per month; and a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder for $12.99 per month.
- Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, On Demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- The option of Home Media DVR, featuring a multi-room DVR that enables up to three simultaneous viewings of recorded programs without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment. The recorder is bundled with Media Manager, a new feature that lets customers easily access photos and music from their personal computer and play them on their entertainment center where they look and sound the best.
- FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market. Because FiOS TV has so much capacity, it is an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming
Information on packages and prices is available at www.verizon.net/fiostv. Canton customers also can call 1-800-880-2943 to see if they qualify to order FiOS TV.
Verizon research indicates 87 percent of Massachusetts residents favor more competition and choice for video services. Independent studies have shown that competition in the video market brings enormous benefits to consumers in the form of reduced prices, better packages and improved service.
FiOS TV is designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and satellite. Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, the largest of its kind in the country, is currently under construction in more than half the states where the company offers landline communications services, including more than 50 Massachusetts communities.
The network brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps as well as high-quality voice services.
(More information about FiOS TV and fiber optics is available in Verizon's online News Center at www.verizon.com/news.)
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24x7 technical assistance by phone from its Fiber Solutions Centers in Providence, R.I., and other cities.
[FiOS TV is available in Acton, Andover, Arlington, Canton, Belmont, Boxborough, Boxford, Burlington, Dedham, Franklin, Georgetown, Hamilton, Hopkinton, Ipswich, Lincoln, Littleton, Lexington, Lynn, Lynnfield, Marlborough, Medfield, Nahant, Natick, Needham, Newton, North Reading, Reading, Stoneham, Sudbury, Swampscott, Tewksbury, Topsfield, Tyngsborough, Wakefield, Wellesley, Wenham, West Newbury, Westwood, Wilmington, Winchester and Woburn, as well as other locations in New York, New Jersey, California, Delaware, Texas, Florida, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia. The company also has TV franchises in the Massachusetts communities of Marion, Mattapoisett and Rochester.]
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 59 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which operates one of the most expansive wholly owned global IP networks, and Verizon Telecom, which is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. A Dow 30 company, Verizon has a diverse workforce of approximately 242,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $88 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.