Paying for college just got easier for nine California students. They are among 809 students nationwide who received scholarships for the 2009-2010 academic year through Verizon's scholarship program for the children and dependents of company employees.
Each student will receive $5,000 annually toward college expenses. Each scholarship is renewable for three years and has a total value of $20,000.
This year's recipients are:
- Maddisen Kays of Camarillo, daughter of employee Heidi DeWeese-Kays, who plans to attend California State University, Channel Islands.
- Monique Roberson of Oxnard, daughter of employee Marie Roberson, who plans to attend California State University, East Bay.
- Madeleine Ryan of Summerland, daughter of employee Deana Blackwood, who plans to attend Babson College.
- Brianne Schaer of Downey, daughter of employee Brenda Lively, who plans to attend California State University, Long Beach.
- Chitra Subrahmanyam of Fremont, daughter of employee Kausalya Subrahmanyam, who plans to attend the University of California, San Diego.
- Tamara Lang of Long Beach, daughter of employee David Lang, who plans to attend Westmont College.
- Ashley Wagner of Sacramento, daughter of employee Christina Wagner, who plans to attend California State University, Monterey Bay.
- Sara Isozaki of Torrance, daughter of employee Donald Isozaki, who plans to attend the University of California, Irvine.
- Sarah Whitaker of Yuba City, daughter of employee Daren Whitaker, who plans to attend Brigham Young University.
Verizon's scholarship program selects recipients based on financial need, academic achievement and extracurricular activities. The scholarships are for high school seniors who plan to attend an accredited four-year institution.
Since 2001, 2,152 students from across the country have benefited from the scholarship program, which has invested more than $36 million toward the college education of children and dependents of Verizon employees. For the 2009-2010 academic year, the Verizon Foundation will invest more than $4 million toward the education of 809 Verizon scholars.
"Our commitment to developing a skilled work force for the 21st century begins at home, with the children of our employees," said Tim McCallion, president of Verizon's West region. "We're proud to make a significant investment in the education of our future leaders and provide this tremendous benefit to our employees."
The Verizon Foundation awards the scholarships in partnership with Scholarship America, the nation's largest nonprofit, private sector scholarship and educational support organization, which was founded in 1958.
A list of 2009 Verizon scholars is available on the Verizon Foundation Web site at http://www.verizonfoundation.org/about/press/scholstudents09.shtml
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, supports the advancement of literacy and K-12 education through its free educational Web site, Thinkfinity.org, and fosters awareness and prevention of domestic violence. In 2008, the Verizon Foundation awarded more than $68 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. It also matched the charitable donations of Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in an additional $26 million in combined contributions to nonprofits. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered more than 3 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 86 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations provide converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. Wireline also includes Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 237,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $97 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.