LAUREL, Md. - An innovative, reliable and competitive alternative to cable TV is now available to consumers in more than 30 Prince George's County communities as Verizon expands its all-fiber FiOS TV offering in the region.
Verizon delivers FiOS TV over the nation's largest digital, all-fiber network. Only this network has earned the certification of the independent Fiber to the Home Council for providing fiber all the way to customers' homes.
FiOS TV now is available to nearly 56,000 households in parts of the following Prince George's County communities: Accokeek, Beltsville, Calverton, Camp Springs, Capitol Heights, Clinton, District Heights, East Riverdale, Fairland, Forestville, Fort Washington, Friendly, Glenn Dale, Goddard, Greenbelt, Hillandale, Kettering, Lake Arbor, Landover Hills, Lanham, Largo, Marlton, Maryland City, Mitchellville, New Carrollton, Oxon Hill, Rosaryville, Seat Pleasant, Walker Mill, Woodlawn and Woodmore.
FiOS TV, which Verizon launched in Maryland in 2006, already is available to consumers in parts of Anne Arundel, Howard and Montgomery counties as well as Annapolis, Bowie and Laurel. Verizon will offer FiOS TV in other areas in coming months as it expands its rollout.
"Prince George's County residents now can kiss their cable company good-bye and say hello to a better choice for their TV service," said William R. Roberts, president of Verizon Maryland. "FiOS TV will offer consumers outstanding picture and sound clarity and innovative new services from a brand they know and trust.
"Customers who liked what FiOS has done for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV."
Consumers can check online at www.verizon.com/fiostv to see if FiOS TV is already available in their area, or to request that Verizon contact them when FiOS TV is available. Consumers also can call their local Verizon sales office or 877-436-1491.
Verizon's FiOS TV Premier package delivers 200 all-digital channels for $42.99 per month. The package includes access to more than 5,000 on-demand titles, 60 percent of which are free. Sports fans subscribing to FiOS TV Premier will also receive Mid-Atlantic Sports Network at no extra charge. MASN carries the Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles and Ravens, and various NCAA teams.
FiOS TV currently includes 24 high-definition (HD) channels in the Maryland market.
Verizon offers three set-top boxes: standard definition for $4.99 per month; high definition, which includes HD channels, for $9.99 per month; and a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder for $12.99 per month.
Verizon also offers innovative features not available from other providers, such as Home Media DVR (digital video recorder) and FiOS TV Widgets. Home Media DVR, at $19.99 per month, has a multi-room DVR feature enabling up to three simultaneous viewings of recorded programs without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment. Customers also can access photos and music on their PCs and play them on their TV. FiOS TV Widgets is a free interactive feature that provides viewers with local weather and traffic information while they're watching their favorite shows.
New FiOS TV features that customers will see this year include:
- 2D and 3D video games – interactive console-like games that customers will play on the TV.
- An Internet portal to manage certain FiOS TV features such as channel favorites and parental controls. Customers will also be able to use their cell phones to program the DVR.
- Home shopping – customers will use their remote control to buy products from home-shopping shows. They also will be able to use the remote to purchase products tied to shows and movies, such as soundtracks and T-shirts.
- Interactive game shows – customers will extend the TV-viewing experience by using their remote control to answer game-show questions or vote for contestants.
- DVD on Demand -- access to a library of DVD-based content, including games and how-to and educational titles that provide information-enriched content.
- Enhanced search capability that makes it easy for customers to do a global search of titles, actors, singers and other information across the TV, DVR and video-on-demand content.
- More international programming for Verizon's diverse customers. FiOS TV provides 16 international a la carte channels today, and it will triple the number of international channels early next year.
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24x7 technical assistance by phone from its specialized Fiber Solutions Centers.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 59 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which operates one of the most expansive wholly owned global IP networks, and Verizon Telecom, which is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. A Dow 30 company, Verizon has a diverse workforce of approximately 242,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $88 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.