Record Travel Prompts Driving Tips
Our editorial transparency tool uses blockchain technology to permanently log all changes made to official releases after publication.
More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
Airports will handle a huge volume of travelers this holiday season but so will area roads. According to the American Travel Survey, Christmas and New Year's travelers journey the farthest (413 and 526 miles respectively) to celebrate the holidays. More than 83 percent of Christmas travelers and 78.9 percent of New Year's travelers will go by automobile and many will use wireless phones to call for help in an emergency or to stay in touch with their families during the drive.
Verizon Wireless would like to remind all wireless phone users that when behind the wheel of a motor vehicle, their first priority is to drive safely. To promote safer driving on California freeways and streets this weekend, Verizon Wireless have developed the following set of motorist guidelines:
- When behind the wheel, safe driving is always your first responsibility.
- Dial your phone when your car is not in motion.
- Always use hands-free when driving and talking; when you turn your phone on, make sure your hands-free device is on and working.
- Never take notes or write down phone numbers while driving. Pull off the road to a safe spot or leave yourself a message on your voice mail system.
- Know your wireless phone number so emergency personnel can call you back. You may want to write it down and keep it in your car for quick reference.
Consumers can pick up a free "responsible driving" brochure, which includes these tips and other safe driving techniques, at Verizon Wireless stores throughout California.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless communications provider in the U.S.with 26.3 million wireless voice and data customers and 3.5 million paging customers. The new coast-to-coast wireless provider was formed by the combination of the U.S. wireless businesses of Bell Atlantic Corp. and GTE Corp -- now Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) -- and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). The new company includes the assets of Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, GTE Wireless, PrimeCo Personal Communications and AirTouch Paging. The company has a footprint covering nearly 90 percent of the U.S. population, 49 of the top 50 and 96 of the top 100 U.S. markets. Verizon Wireless, headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, is 32,000 employees strong. Reporters and editors can find more information about the company on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com.