BALTIMORE - Paying for college just got easier for six Maryland students who are children and dependents of Verizon employees. The students, who are among 809 Verizon scholars, will each receive a scholarship of $5,000 per academic year.
Verizon's scholarship program selects recipients based on financial need, academic achievement and extracurricular activities. The scholarships are for high school seniors who plan to attend an accredited four-year institution. Each scholarship is renewable for three years and has a total value of $20,000.
This year's Maryland recipients are:
- Joanna H. Chen of Silver Spring, daughter of Verizon employee Helen Chen. She plans to attend Carnegie Mellon University and major in business and pre-medicine.
- Chandra I. Christian of Fort Washington, daughter of employee Kenneth Stanback. She plans to attend High Point University and major in interior design.
- Kiauhna A. Haynes of Baltimore, daughter of employee Stephanie Haynes. She plans to attend Penn State University Park and major in psychology.
- Ashley N. Powers of Greenbelt, daughter of employee Zack Powers Jr. She plans to attend Massachusetts Institute of Technology and major in biomedical engineering.
- Emmanuelle P. Willis of District Heights, daughter of employee Janin Willis. She plans to attend Morgan State University and major in hospitality management.
- Kyle A. Yount of Edgewater, son of employee Ann Yount. He plans to attend Clemson University and major in civil engineering.
Since 2001, 2,152 students from across the country have benefited from the scholarship program, which has invested almost $36 million toward the college education of children and dependents of Verizon employees. For the 2009-2010 academic year, the Verizon Foundation will provide a total of more than $4 million for the scholarships.
"Our commitment to developing a skilled work force for the 21st century begins at home, with the children of our employees," said William R. Roberts, Verizon regional president for Maryland and Washington, D.C. "Verizon proudly supports these students because we realize that we're investing in the education of our future leaders, an investment that will yield great results for our communities."
The Verizon Foundation awards the scholarships in partnership with Scholarship America, the nation's largest nonprofit, private sector scholarship and educational support organization, which was founded in 1958.
A list of 2009 Verizon scholars is available on the Verizon Foundation Web site at http://www.verizonfoundation.org/about/press/scholstudents09.shtml.
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, supports the advancement of literacy and K-12 education through its free educational Web site, Thinkfinity.org, and fosters awareness and prevention of domestic violence. In 2008, the Verizon Foundation awarded more than $68 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. It also matched the charitable donations of Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in an additional $26 million in combined contributions to nonprofits. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered more than 3 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 86 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations provide converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. Wireline also includes Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 237,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $97 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.