EVERETT, Wash. - Paying for college just got easier for six children of Verizon employees in Idaho, Oregon and Washington. They have earned college scholarships from the Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications.
The students will each receive $5,000 annually toward their college expenses and are eligible to receive a maximum award of $20,000 throughout four years of college. The six students from Idaho, Oregon and Washington will receive up to $120,000 worth of scholarships for four years of college.
This year’s recipients are:
- Michelle Gustafson of Post Falls, a graduate of Coeur d’Alene Charter Academy and daughter of employee Matt Gustafson, who has not decided which college she will attend.
- Erica Lambert of Kendrick, a graduate of Kendrick High School and son of employee Dan Lambert, who plans to attend the University of Idaho.
- Tanner Markus of Nampa, a graduate of Skyview High School and son of employee Scott Markus, who plans to attend Brigham Young University - Idaho.
- Anna Nadreau of Moscow, a graduate of Montrose Academy and daughter of employee Michael Nadreau, who plans to attend the University of Idaho.
- Ashleigh Jefferson of Portland, a graduate of Benson High School and daughter of employee Stephanie Jefferson, who plans to attend Oregon State University.
- Katrina Fulkerson of Maple Valley, a graduate of Tahoma Senior High School in Covingon and daughter of employee John Fulkerson, who plans to attend Brigham Young University.
Verizon’s scholarship program selects recipients based on financial need, academic achievement and extracurricular activities. The scholarships are for high school seniors who plan to attend an accredited four-year institution.
Since 2001, more than 1,800 students from across the country have benefited from the scholarship program, which has invested more than $27.7 million toward the college education of children and dependents of Verizon employees. For the 2007-2008 academic year, the Verizon Foundation will invest approximately $4.8 million toward the education of 957 Verizon scholars, including 250 freshman and 707 upperclassmen.
“Offering competitive scholarships to the children of our employees is one of the best investments Verizon can make,” said David S. Valdez, senior vice president for Verizon’s Northwest region. “Supporting their educational goals helps our company contribute to a successful future for these young people.”
The Verizon Foundation awards the scholarships in partnership with Scholarship America, the nation’s largest nonprofit, private sector scholarship and educational support organization, which was founded in 1958.
A list of Verizon scholars is available on the Verizon Foundation Web site, at www.verizon.com/foundation.
The Verizon Foundation is committed to improving literacy and K-12 education; fostering awareness and prevention of domestic violence; and promoting the use of technology in health-care delivery. In 2006, the foundation awarded more than $69 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the United States and abroad. The foundation also matched charitable donations from Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in $29 million in combined contributions. Under the foundation’s Verizon Volunteer initiative, one of the nation’s largest employee-volunteer programs, company employees and retirees have also contributed nearly 3 million hours of community service since Verizon’s inception in 2000.
For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizon.com/foundation.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America’s most reliable wireless network, serving 60.7 million customers nationwide. Verizon’s Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation’s most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon has a diverse workforce of more than 238,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $88 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.