Verizon and Yahoo! Launch Internet Service for FiOS Customers
Our editorial transparency tool uses blockchain technology to permanently log all changes made to official releases after publication.
More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
NEW YORK and SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- Verizon Communications and Yahoo! Inc. today announced the availability of their latest fully-integrated, co-branded broadband service, Verizon Yahoo! for FiOS. The new service becomes one of the fastest broadband offerings on the market, providing customers with the benefits of Verizon, one of the world's leading providers of broadband and communications services, and Yahoo!, a leading Internet destination and one of the world's most recognized global Internet brand.
The service is available today for consumers in parts of the following 15 states where Verizon offers FiOS Internet service over its fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas and Virginia. It will be available in Washington later this year.
Verizon Yahoo! for FiOS combines broadband connection speeds of up to 30 megabits per second (Mbps) downstream and 5 Mbps upstream with a wide variety of premium Yahoo! features at no additional charge. Verizon Yahoo! for FiOS will be the default choice for all new Verizon FiOS Internet customers.
"FiOS Internet customers already enjoy super-fast upstream and downstream connections that make advanced online services an everyday part of their lives," said John Wimsatt, senior vice president broadband solutions for Verizon. "Now they can get even more out of that incredible speed with premium offerings from Yahoo! that bring them even richer entertainment, communication, productivity and online protection services."
Steve Boom, senior vice president, broadband for Yahoo, said, "The blazing-fast speeds available to consumers with Verizon Yahoo! for FiOS make doing high-bandwidth activities like watching video or listening to music that much more enjoyable. Verizon Yahoo! services are now available to all of Verizon's broadband subscribers, from entry-level DSL subscribers to FiOS customers, and together we are focused on giving all of our users the most exciting, innovative and valuable high-speed experience on the Web."
Customers who choose Verizon Yahoo! for FiOS will receive the service with a "single sign-on" and premium broadband-centric Yahoo!® features at no additional charge, including:
- Premium, on-demand news and entertainment video content
- 500,000+ content sources to personalize the broadband-optimized home page
- Customizable commercial-free radio, with near CD-quality audio
- Access to the largest library of online, on-demand music videos from Yahoo! Music
- 11 award-winning Yahoo! Mail accounts with virtually unlimited 2 GB of storage each and premium anti-spam protection
- Unlimited photo storage and high-resolution photo downloads with Yahoo! Photos
- Premium online file storage, with 100 MB capacity for primary accounts
- Easy-to-use online security dashboard with one-click access to key security tools
- Anti-virus protection for both the PC and e-mail
- Award-winning parental controls to protect children while online
- Anti-spyware to detect software that may be considered spyware/adware
Verizon Online is the only major Internet service provider in the United States to offer its customers their choice from multiple portal experiences. Verizon Yahoo! for FiOS builds on the launch of Verizon Yahoo! for DSL and the range of Yahoo!'s leading services available to the more than 49 million Verizon Wireless subscribers.
There are three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet Service for consumers, with downstream (download) speeds of up to 5, 15 and 30 Mbps:
- 5 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Suited for Internet surfing and basic computer functions. $34.95 a month with an annual service plan.
- 15 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Appealing to families that have multiple computers and various needs such as media downloads and the ability to access or share large files. $44.95 a month with an annual service plan.
- 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-intensive power users with significant bandwidth needs, such as telecommuters or work-at-home households and avid online gamers. $179.95 a month with an annual service plan. Promotional pricing is available in some markets.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other communication innovations to wireline and wireless customers. Verizon operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 49.3 million customers nationwide; one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks; and one of the nation's premier wireline networks, serving home, business and wholesale customers. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of approximately 250,000 and generates annual consolidated operating revenues of approximately $90 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
Yahoo! Inc. is a leading global internet brand and one of the most trafficked Internet destinations worldwide. Yahoo! seeks to provide online products and services essential to users' lives, and offers a full range of tools and marketing solutions for businesses to connect with Internet users around the world. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward Looking Information
This press release contains forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties concerning Yahoo!'s launch of this new co-branded service as well as Yahoo!'s strategic and operational plans. Actual results may differ materially from the results predicted, and reported results should not be considered an indication of future performance. All information set forth in this release is as of Jan. 19, 2006, and Yahoo! does not undertake any duty to update this information. More information about potential factors that could impact Yahoo!'s business and financial results is included under the captions, "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations," in Yahoo!'s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2004 and the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended September 30, 2005, which are on file with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") and available at the SEC's website at www.sec.gov.
Yahoo!, the Yahoo! logo and other Yahoo! related product and service names are the trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.
# # #