Verizon Boosts Value of Small-Business DSL Packages by Adding New Security and Internet Features
More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
NEW YORK - Small and medium-sized businesses can now get business-grade broadband service from Verizon, with more features included at no extra cost. "Our top Business DSL packages now include an Internet productivity suite, giving small businesses the ability to connect, protect and promote their business," said Marquita Carter, director of business marketing for Verizon's broadband group. "We've added new features to increase the utility customers get from their broadband links and to give them a much more satisfying experience of high-speed Internet access and all it can do.
"Broadband makes a huge difference to small businesses, and the features we've added support the business goals of customers by improving access, visibility and security," she said. "The privacy and safety of customer communications and files are an important concern that this offer helps address."
Starting now, customers who purchase a standard business DSL package will get an Internet productivity suite that includes unlimited dial-up access to their broadband account from off-premises sites, domain-name e-mail (email@example.com), domain name registration and a complete Internet security package for one computer. The productivity suite, which is worth about $45, is included in Verizon DSL standard packages at no additional cost.
"This package lets customers connect, over either DSL or dial-up; protect their information and e-commerce with our complete anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall and privacy bundle; and promote their businesses with a registered Internet domain name that appears in every outbound e-mail address," Carter said. "Having an 'at your-business-name' e-mail address legitimizes the Web link and is the first step toward true e-commerce."
The new package is targeted at small-business customers seeking to upgrade their current dial-up, cable modem or under-enriched DSL products with e-commerce and business-grade Internet services, and have been waiting for an affordable price to do so.
The $59.95 product, which already includes unlimited dial-up access worth $9 a month and three domain-name e-mail boxes worth $18 a month, now also features:
- Verizon Internet Security Suite ($4.95 a month value) - Includes anti-virus, firewall, content management, anti-spyware, pop-up blocker and privacy manager for one PC, expandable to three computers for $7.95 a month.
- One year free Domain Name Registration ($35 value) - Verizon will pay to register the customer's new domain name for the first year.
The Verizon Internet Security Suite features provide the following functions:
- Anti-Virus - Provides full-scale protection against malicious viruses, worms and Trojans by detecting these threats, removing them and cleaning the affected files. Runs in the background and blocks all incoming virus attacks and related threats.
- Firewall - Acts as a shield to automatically block unauthorized intrusions, malicious hackers and other hostile attempts to access users' computers. With a minimum number of user prompts, the firewall is an easy to use, yet highly powerful defense for both dial-up and high-speed connections.
- Content Management - Allows an administrator to control employee Internet usage by determining the types of content and specific sites that may be accessed. It uses artificial intelligence to continuously seek out and scan Web site URLs for categorization. If a user visits an unclassified Web site, the software will scan the site immediately and block access.
- Anti-Spyware - Spyware is a program that is installed on a user's computer without the user's knowledge to secretly gather personal information to transmit to third parties. Employing the market-leading Pest Patrol Anti-Spyware technology, the service offers powerful, up-to-date protection that automatically detects and eliminates a broad range of malware and tracking software normally not detected by anti-virus software.
- Pop-Up Blocker - Ensures a browsing session that is clean, fast and uncluttered by blocking online ads such as pop-ups, pop-unders, banners, animations and tile ads before they are even downloaded to the PC.
- Privacy Manager - Instantly scans all outgoing communications for sensitive or identifying information to prevent its release without user consent. Provides control over cookies and how much information Web sites record about browsing habits. Finally, the privacy manager has a cleaning feature that allows users to automatically remove traces of data left behind by Internet Explorer, MSN Explorer and Windows.
"We'll continue to look for ways to smooth the path to broadband and enhance the experience for businesses engaging the Internet and all it has to offer, from communication to ordering and Web hosting," Carter said. "It's one of the best tools ever invented to support small businesses, and we want to make our business DSL services true business-class products that meet these customers' needs."
Verizon's commitment to small businesses and the advantages they can get from DSL led to the recent introduction of a new 768 kilobit-per-second basic Business DSL service designed to give dial-up users a first step into high-speed Internet access. At $24.95 a month, this service is at least 10 times faster than dial-up and makes Internet interaction much more satisfying for users.
With more than $71 billion in annual revenues, Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services. Verizon has a diverse work force of more than 214,000 in four business units: Domestic Telecom provides customers based in 28 states with wireline and other telecommunications services, including broadband. Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 47.4 million voice and data customers across the United States. Information Services operates directory publishing businesses and provides electronic commerce services. International includes wireline and wireless operations and investments, primarily in the Americas and Europe. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.