NEW YORK - More Verizon customers can experience breathtaking high-speed Internet access as the company expands the availability of its Verizon FiOS suite of Internet services on Long Island.
Verizon announced today that a growing number of residents and small businesses in parts of Sayville, Bohemia, Oakdale, Bayport, Port Jefferson, Port Jefferson Station, Miller Place, Mount Sinai, Terryville and New Hyde Park now can order FiOS Internet, the industry's premier mass-market broadband service. Also today, Verizon launched its FiOS TV service in the village of Laurel Hollow and the Town of Hempstead hamlets of Oceanside and Lakeview on Long Island, along with the Rockland County village of Grandview-on-Hudson. Verizon already offers FiOS TV in many other Long Island and Rockland County communities.
In July, Verizon introduced new Internet connection speeds for consumers and small businesses in New York that are among the fastest speeds available in the country. The company is offering several tiers of service, with downstream (download) speeds of up to 10, 20 and 50 Mbps (megabits per second) and upstream (upload) speeds of up to 10 Mbps.*
Verizon offers FiOS services over its fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network - the only network that currently brings fiber-optic technology directly to homes and businesses on a widespread scale. FTTP technology utilizes fiber-optic connections - instead of copper wire - to enable a broad array of voice, data and video applications. The company is building its FTTP network in more than half of the states where it offers landline communications services, including more than 120 communities in New York.
"FiOS is setting the new standard for consumer and small-business broadband services in New York," said Monica Azare, Verizon senior vice president for New York and Connecticut. "We are building the communications network of the future to provide customers with unmatched network reliability, incredible speed and exciting new options for voice, data and video connections."
FiOS Internet service for consumers is available as a monthly service or at a discount with a one-year commitment, which includes free installation for the primary computer. In New York, Verizon now offers consumers three tiers of Verizon FiOS Internet service:
- 10 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Suited for Internet surfing and basic computer functions. $29.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $39.95 month-to-month.
- 20 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Appealing for families that have multiple computers and various needs such as multi-media and the ability to access and send large files. $44.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $49.95 month-to-month.
- 50 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-intensive power users with significant bandwidth needs and multiple users, such as telecommuters or work-at-home households and avid online gamers. $89.95 a month with a one-year agreement or $109.95 month-to-month.
FiOS Internet service for small businesses is available as part of a bundle of local and long-distance calling services from Verizon, or as a stand-alone Internet access service. Small-business customers can receive free professional installation for their primary computer, plus a 10 to 20 percent discount off their standard monthly rate with a qualifying local-calling service package, if the one-bill option is selected.
Small-business owners can choose from three tiers of FiOS Internet service, with either a dynamic Internet protocol (IP) address or static IP address:
- 20 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream, for $59.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $99.95 a month with up to five static IP addresses.
- 35 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream service, for $169.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $209.95 with up to five static IP addresses.
- 50 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream, for $349.95 a month with a dynamic IP address and $389.95 a month with up to five static IP addresses.
All FiOS Internet services for business now offer free Internet Security Suite for one PC ($4.95 per month value) and free annual Domain Name Registration for one domain name (a $35 value) on qualifying packages. Companies also receive 24x7 business-grade technical support. Plus, qualifying packages include up to 15 domain name e-mail addresses (email@example.com), 20 MB (megabytes) of Web space and unlimited remote dial-up access that keeps employees connected when they're on the road. A one-year contract is required for all FiOS business packages. More static IP addresses are available for an additional fee.
Residential customers who want to determine whether they can order FiOS Internet service can call 888-GET FIOS (888-438-3467) or visit Verizon's FiOS Web site at www.verizonfios.com. Small businesses can call 877- FIOS BIZ (877-346-7249) to determine if they qualify for FiOS Internet Service for Business or visit www.verizon.com/fiosinternet/ for more information and current promotions.
* NOTE: All speeds reflect initial connection speeds between your computer and Verizon's central office. Actual throughput speeds will vary based on numerous factors, including network and Internet congestion and the speed of websites visited on the Internet.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), a Dow 30 company, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving nearly 55 million customers nationwide. Verizon Business operates one of the most expansive wholly-owned global IP networks. Verizon Telecom is deploying the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network to deliver the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services to customers. Based in New York, Verizon has a diverse workforce of more than 252,000 and generates annual consolidated operating revenues of approximately $90 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.