More of our content is being permanently logged via blockchain technology starting [10.23.2020].
NEW YORK - Building on its success in New York, Verizon has begun offering customers in 15 more states the free option of receiving their monthly local and long-distance phone bill in Spanish.
The company has already informed nearly half a million Spanish-speaking customers in the Great Lakes, Southern and Western regions. These customers had previously told Verizon that Spanish is their preferred language when the company communicates with them, and they will automatically receive their next bills in Spanish unless they notify the company that they want to continue receiving their bills in English. Other customers in the initial rollout area can choose the option by contacting their regional Verizon business office via the toll-free number on their phone bill.
Customers in the following states can now receive their monthly phone bills in Spanish: Arizona, California, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Wisconsin and Washington.
By next April, Verizon will make the Spanish phone bill option available throughout all 29 states the company serves, as well as in Washington, D.C.
"The Hispanic population is one of the fastest-growing market segments in the country today, so this simply makes good business sense for Verizon, the nation's largest telecom company," said Emilio Coronado, Verizon group manager for Hispanic marketing. "Expanding the availability of the phone bill option completes a series of initiatives for our Spanish-speaking customers that started over a decade ago, when we opened a Spanish-language customer service center in Santa Monica, Calif.
"Our main goal is to give current Verizon customers who speak Spanish as a primary language another strong reason to stay with Verizon and to attract new customers in this exciting and growing market," he added.
Verizon and its predecessor companies were among the first in the nation to make Spanish-language phone bills available to customers, introducing the option in New York five years ago. Today, over 230,000 Verizon customers in New York receive their monthly bills in Spanish.
Verizon has also completed a number of other initiatives aimed at retaining existing Spanish-speaking customers and attracting new ones:
- Verizon SuperPages, the nation's largest publisher of both English and Spanish-language telephone directories, just completed distributing Manhattan's only bilingual yellow pages directory to predominantly Hispanic neighborhoods there
- Successful launch of La Plaza, a targeted Hispanic marketing program
- Five successful years of publishing "La Voz" magazine, a quarterly Spanish language magazine for Spanish-speaking Verizon customers that has garnered industry awards such as: the 2001 Direct Marketing Association Award, the 2002 Latino Marketing Award and the 2002 International Association of Business Communicators' Silver Quill Award
- The La Plaza High Value program, which provides customers who purchase multiple Verizon products with language-resource gifts, such as learning English videotapes and educational bilingual books for children
- A specific product line relevant to the Hispanic community, such as international calling plans with great rates to Latin America and local and long-distance bundled offers with wireless and DSL add-ons.
A Fortune 10 company, Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications, with approximately $67 billion in revenues and 221,000 employees. Verizon companies are the largest providers of wireline and wireless communications in the United States, with 137.6 million access line equivalents and 34.6 million Verizon Wireless customers. Verizon is the third largest long-distance carrier for U.S. consumers, with 14.6 million long-distance lines. The company is also the largest directory publisher in the world, as measured by directory titles and circulation. Verizon's international presence includes wireline and wireless communications operations and investments, primarily in the Americas and Europe. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.