What's one thing that's up in the down economy? Football broadcast viewership, according to recent news reports.
But is game day at home a sacrifice or a sports experience to savor? With Verizon's advanced all-fiber-optic FiOS, it's a game-changing game day for football fans at home. FiOS offers viewers a host of options that cable simply can't match, making the game - including game-and-player statistics, fantasy football and more - only a click of the remote away.
"Simply watching the game isn't enough. Today's sports fans want to immerse themselves in sports multimedia," said Shawn Strickland, vice president, marketing, Verizon Telecom. "The immense capacity of our advanced network is giving FiOS subscribers amazing new services and experiences that take in-home sports enjoyment to a level that far surpasses old-school cable and in many ways even goes beyond being at the stadium. FiOS is changing the way people access and interact with sports broadcasts, both on TV and online."
Thanksgiving weekend is an intense week for football fans as they watch their favorite college and pro teams battle it out for top rankings and playoff spots. Verizon FiOS enhances sports viewing at home with a broad range of modern TV and broadband tools and experiences that include:
- FiOS TV is the picture-quality benchmark. FiOS TV delivers pure HD picture and sound. Unlike some cable providers, FiOS TV HD quality is not deteriorated by the recompression of HD signals before they are passed on to customers. Plus, FiOS TV offers 100 percent digital quality on every channel.
- NFL Network: The NFL Network is the only destination for all that happens around the National Football League, on and off the field. FiOS TV subscribers will be able to watch the Giants-Broncos game on Thanksgiving on the channel (Nov. 26, 8:20 p.m. Eastern time). Plus, the NFL Network - which Time Warner Cable, Cablevision and Bright House subscribers can't get - will broadcast five additional Thursday night games live later this season.
- NFL RedZone Channel: Takes viewers around the league every Sunday afternoon for live coverage of critical plays when any team is inside its opponent's 20-yard line.
- Pro Football Widget: Stay up to the minute on NFL action with quick access to rosters, player details and headline news. Using the widget, NFL RedZone channel subscribers also can set on-screen alerts for whenever a team moves inside its opponent's 20-yard line.
- ESPN Fantasy Sports Widget: Provides instant personalized on-screen access to viewers' ESPN Fantasy Football teams, including real-time scoring, rosters, box scores, scoring leaders and player information. All the information is available, at no additional charge, for FiOS TV customers who are registered ESPN Fantasy Football users.
- Twitter Widget: Subscribers can use FiOS TV's unique Twitter Widget to log onto Twitter to offer up their own game commentary right on their TV screen while watching the game.
- Home Media DVR: Subscribers never have to miss a game because they're away or because the family wants to watch something else on the big screen. Verizon's advanced DVR lets subscribers record programming on one set that can then be watched on up to six other TV sets in the home. Subscribers can also pause recorded programming on one set and continue to watch it on another - and can take the recorded game to any room without missing a play.
- Remote DVR Management: Forgot to set the DVR to record the game? No worries. Subscribers can remotely manage their FiOS DVR via any broadband connection or any broadband-enabled cell phone.
- Media Manager: Subscribers can create their own personal half-time show by using Verizon's Media Manager service to stream photo slide shows, music and videos from their home computer or laptop to their home-entertainment system.
- ESPN360 on FiOS Internet: Each week during football season, ESPN360 brings Verizon broadband customers live college football games featuring the nation's top teams, as well as replays of games from previous weeks. Games are available exclusively online, at no additional charge to Verizon FiOS Internet and High Speed Internet customers.
- Two-Way Fast Broadband: With download speeds of up to 50 Mbps and upload speeds up to 20 Mpbs, FiOS Internet provides the two-way speed needed to quickly upload and share photos from a game-watching party, or to enjoy games and highlights online.
- Free Wi-Fi Connections: Away from home? Stay connected to online games, stats and scores at more than 5,000 Verizon hot spots nationwide, including airports, cafes, hotels and more. All customers who subscribe to FiOS Internet service with downstream connections of up to 20 Mbps or higher already receive the free wi-fi access. For a list of hot-spot locations, visit www.verizon.net/hotspots.
Verizon is the only company in the U.S. to bring 100 percent fiber optics straight to the home, delivering America's top-rated broadband with download connections speeds of up to 50 megabits per second, more pure HD TV channels, amazing picture-and-sound quality, and interactive capabilities that cable can't match.
FiOS TV offers a broad collection of programming, with more than 500 all-digital channels, including more than 126 HD channels, and more than 18,000 monthly VOD titles. FiOS provides next-generation interactive services including an advanced interactive media guide; social TV, news and entertainment widgets; remote DVR management; multi-room DVR, and more.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 89 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 230,000 and last year generated consolidated revenues of more than $97 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.