Verizon FiOS TV has become the country's leading television provider of Spanish-language channels, announcing on Monday (June 4) the launch of 10 new Spanish-language channels in high definition. Verizon now offers up to 75 Spanish-language channels on FiOS TV, dependent on the local channels available in each market.
Nine of the 10 new Spanish-language HD channels are provided by Olympusat Inc., a leading independent distributor of Hispanic content in the United States. Known as ULTRA HDPlex, the Olympusat channels are: Ultra Cine, Ultra Fiesta, Ultra Kidz, Ultra Mex, Ultra Luna, Ultra Macho, Ultra Film, Ultra Docu and Ultra Clásico. The 10th channel, Multimedios Television, offers Spanish-language family and entertainment programming broadcast from Monterrey, Mexico. FiOS TV recently completed the launch of all 10 channels.
In addition, Verizon announced last week a new multiyear carriage agreement with Univision Communications Inc., which includes the launch of three new networks - Univision Deportes, Univision tlnovelas and FOROtv - as well as rights for multiplatform and on-demand viewing.
"Our customers have told us that high-quality Spanish-language programming helps to keep their culture alive, and we're helping to make that happen by giving them the content that they want," said Michelle Webb, director of content strategy and acquisition for Verizon. "With the addition of 10 new Spanish-language HD channels, Verizon is offering our FiOS TV customers the best - and the most - Spanish-language channels as well as the largest Spanish-language HD offering in the nation. And with more Spanish-language programming to come, we'll continue giving consumers the most robust Spanish-language offering in the market."
Tom Mohler, president & CEO of Olympusat Inc., said, "Olympusat's Ultra HDPlex channels have given Verizon's FiOS TV customers a high-definition Spanish-language entertainment variety that Hispanics are craving. We are thrilled that Verizon FiOS TV has joined us in taking this historic step to deliver high-quality multigenre HD programming to Hispanic households across the country."
The 10 new Spanish-language HD channels feature everything from movies and music to family and kids programs:
- Ultra Cine -A contemporary HD movie network, Ultra Cine focuses on award-winning and original films from Mexico, Spain and Latin America, shown in their original Spanish format.
- Ultra Fiesta - As the first HD Latino music network in the U.S. produced by music industry insiders, Ultra Fiesta features the best in Latin music from music videos, news, concerts and much more.
- Ultra Kidz - The first entertainment channel for kids in HD, providing preschool programming in the mornings and then transitioning to older kids and teens programs in the afternoons and programs for the entire family at night.
- Ultra Mex - With programming that ranges from independent productions to Hollywood studio hits, Ultra Mex is the only HD movie channel in the U.S. carrying truly contemporary Mexican films with the best actors and directors from Mexico.
- Ultra Luna - Catering to the Latino woman, Ultra Luna delivers new and edgy telenovelas, as well as captivating series and programming all in HD that that always has the female audience in mind.
- Ultra Macho - Dedicated to Latino men, this new HD channel features the best in travel, extreme sports, late night adult series, news, reality shows and original programming created to satisfy the distinguished male taste.
- Ultra Film - The first HD movie network dedicated to airing modern films from around the world dubbed in Spanish for the U.S. Hispanic audience.
- Ultra Docu - Ultra Docu provides access to a collection of documentaries on Latin American topics, some of which have never been seen in the U.S., as well as lifestyle and human-interest programming from around the globe in HD.
- Ultra Clásico - Offering digitally remastered movies from the golden age of Mexican and Latin American Cinema, Ultra Clásico features iconic classics and award-winning movies from 1930-1980 fully restored to their original glory and in HD.
- Multimedios - Multimedios offers original programming for the entire family including news, music, game shows, sports, reality TV and programs for children and women that are among the most tweeted TV programs on Mexican television.
Gustavo Mena, who handles Multimedios' distribution in the U.S., said, "Over 63 percent of Hispanics are of Mexican origin, and Multimedios, one of the best sources of original broadcast quality programming from Mexico, is pleased and excited to join FiOS TV in providing its family-oriented programming in high-definition."
These channels will be part of FiOS TV's La Conexion and Spanish-language packages. La Conexion is a bundled package that includes Verizon's phone and FiOS Internet services. Available for $89.99 per month in the bundled package, La Conexion offers customers the best in Spanish and English programming, with more than 185 channels including 30 in HD and 67 or more of Verizon's most popular Spanish channels. Verizon's Spanish-language package, which is available for $12.99 per month, features 67 or more Spanish channels, including news, sports and entertainment.
The new Spanish-language HD channels join FiOS TV's broad collection of programming, which offers more than 550 all-digital channels, including more than 140 HD channels, and 35,000 monthly video-on-demand titles.
About Olympusat Inc.
Olympusat, Inc. owns, operates and distributes independent linear and non-linear programming networks to the Cable, Satellite, and Telco industries, in addition to multi-platform offerings including mobile, IPTV and broadband networks. The company represents Hispanic, Specialty and Faith & Family networks such as Cine Mexicano, ¡Sorpresa!, Gran Cine, FUNimation Channel, Untamed Sports and Parables. Olympusat is the leading independent distributor of Hispanic networks in the United States free of major media conglomerates and is the Spanish-language leader in HD linear programming in the United States. Olympusat, Inc. also owns two strategic business units: Olympusat Digital Production, which provides HD optical scanning and restoration services and Olympusat Telecom, which enables broadband solutions and content rich media platforms for entertainment clients. For more information please visit www.olympusat.com.
Multimedios is part of Grupo Multimedios, in operation since 1933, the third-largest producer of original Spanish-language programming in Mexico and an expert in capturing Mexican audiences. The Mexican media conglomerate owns and operates: 37 AM and FM radio stations; nine broadcast TV stations; a 300,000-subscriber triple-play cable operator; 12 local, regional and national newspapers; two national magazines; outdoor advertising; music concert venues; amusement parks; and three satellite transmitted 100% Family, 100% Original, 100% Mexican television networks distributed in the U.S. market: General Entertainment Network Multimedios Television (in HD), 24/7 News Network Milenio Television and Music TV Network TeleRitmo.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with 93 million retail customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with $111 billion in 2011 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of nearly 192,000. For more information, visit www.verizon.com